Chapter Thirty-Three

“You are so annoying!” Claire yelled as she slapped Shane’s hand away from her thigh. “Stop touching me!”

“That’s not what you said the other night,” Shane winked and tried to grab her again, only to be hit again.

Eve groaned and turned in the front seat to look back at them. “Kids, no offence, but shut the hell up!” Eve raised her voice, and then dropped it to calmly say; “The adults are trying to concentrate.”

“It’s not my fault that she’s shitty about going back to Morganville!” Shane exclaimed and folded his arms over his chest like a defensive child. Then he lowered his voice to mutter; “She’s normally overjoyed.”

“Oh shut up Shane,” Claire sneered and looked out the window. She heard Shane whistle that was followed by a slow applause by Eve.

“About time,” Eve smiled. Claire refused to look at any of them, and she wished that she could take Michael’s job to drive.

Claire couldn’t see out the windows, but she acted as if there was something intriguing outside just waiting to be found. She heard Eve and Shane exchange whispers, but she didn’t turn around.

She refused to give them the satisfaction. Sure, she was angry about leaving California early, but they all were. For a change, Claire was the one that had started an argument and threw a fit when Shane remained composed and positive. And it didn’t help that he was shirtless when he had convinced Claire to calm down. Damn Shane and his hot body and looks.

Claire took in a deep breath and let it out with a large sigh, and it seemed like everyone in the car around her had frozen. Claire looked at the corner of her eye, and saw both Shane and Eve staring at her like she was a bomb about to explode. Michael drove silently, listening to a woman talk about the weather.

“Can I help you?” Claire asked and turned around to raise her eyebrow at her boyfriend and best friend that stared at her. Shane actually jumped and Eve flinched, and they both shook their heads at the same time. Claire stared at both of them for a few long seconds before looking back out the dark window. She heard drops of rain begin to fall on top of the sedan, and Claire sighed as she lent her forehead against the window. She didn’t know why she had gotten so worked up. Maybe she had gotten so used to freedom, that she just couldn’t stand going back to be owned again. Shane and Eve, and even Michael didn’t understand like Claire did.

Claire belonged to Amelie.

Body and soul.

Shane drummed his fingers on the car window, and when Michael glared at him through the rear-view mirror, he shrugged. “Put on some music then, man,” Shane raised his eyebrows. “No one wants to listen to the crappy weather station. Unless you get a hit from listening to the chicks voice?”

Everyone in the car groaned and Shane let out a soft, muffled laugh as he did his best to keep quiet. Michael flicked through the stations, and Shane objected to every single song. When the station settled on a battle-off between Usher and One Republic, Shane sighed and let his head fall back against the car seats. His head turned to look at Claire, but she kept her eyes on the raindrops that raced down the window. He reached out, and ever so softly poked her shoulder. Claire sighed, and turned further away from him. After at least a minute, she felt Shane’s finger poke her again; this time on the arm.

“Cut it out dork,” Claire breathed. Of course, Shane poked her again and he got lower and lower. Finally, with gritted teeth Claire spun around in her seat and kicked him.

“Ow,” Shane said it in that way which meant that she hadn’t hurt him at all and Claire sighed as he rubbed his knee.

“Stop being a brat then!” Claire exclaimed.