Chapter Seven

Claire was not expecting Shane to take her to a junkyard, but that was where he took her.

"Oh Shane. You take me to the nicest places." She said, looking around at the old, usen cars. He took her hand in his and guided her further into the yard.

"I've actually got something to show you," He said. He walked her over to a black car. Claire wasn't axactly sure, but she thought that it was a Chevy Cruze. "I had to have you opinion before buying it."

She smiled and ran her hand over the new paintjob.

"It looks brand new," She said and turned around to face him.

He walked towards her, and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I thought that it would be perfect for you."

"Wait, for me? I only just got my licence last month."

"I know, but it'd be good. I'll buy it for you."

Claire shook her head, "No. I'm not letting you use your money on me."

He smiled, "Isn't that what boyfriends do?"

"But you worked so hard for that money, and I think we all know how much you hate your job."

He shrugged, "It's not that bad. Besides, you work even harder to get your money."

"Exactly, I get my own money," Claire smiled. "Spend it on yourself."

Shane sighed, "Claire.."

"No," She kissed him on the cheek. "It's your money, okay?"

Shane finally gave up and he was about to take her home, when Claire saw something in the corner of her eye. She stopped and backed up.

"What you doing?" He asked, turning around to face her.

"You still want a motorcycle?" Claire walked off, and Shane took a couple of long strides and he was at her side.

"Wha- Whoa." Shane paused as he stood in front of the motorbike. Much like the car he had shown Claire, the bike looked as good as new. "Claire, that's a triumph daytona 675."

"Yeah, I just see a black motorcycle." Claire watched as Shane leant on the bike, looking it up and down. She came up behind him. "Get it. It's your money." He turned to face her. Shane started to protest, no doubt asking Claire if she was sure. "Shane, shut up. Just get the bike."

* * *

Claire found riding a motorbike, quite similar to the few times she'd been swept of her feet by a vampire. Of course, compared to the times Myrnin and Michael had made their fast, vampire dash holding onto her, the motorbike wasn't half as fast as vampire speed. Still, she wasn't planning on riding it anytime soon. Shane decided to be a gentleman that night, and lifted her off the bike. Then Claire insisted him giving her a piggy-back ride into the house. He didn't refuse. He picked her up, carried her up the stairs, and into the house.

"Shit," Shane said as he stumbled through the front door. Claire laughed, hysterically.

"Hey!" Eve yelled. "Keep it down, I'm trying to focus on cooking." Shane let Claire down, and she made a face.

"I bought a motorbike." Shane said. "Just saying." Claire started walking towards the kitchen, and just missed getting knocked over by Eve.

"Where's Michael?" Claire asked, turning to face the retreating Eve.

"In the kitchen, I think. Shane, show me your bike." She shook her head and made her way into the kitchen. Michael was on the phone, his voice lowered as soon as she walked in. Eve was making spaghetti. Or, well, she was attempting to anyway. Claire sat on the table and waited for Michael to finish talking. He raised his eyebrows at her, but she didn't move.

Eventually Michael said, "I have to go. We'll talk about this later." Then he hung the phone up.

"Who was that?" Claire asked straight away and kicked her legs back and forth.

He shrugged, "No one important."

Claire nodded, "I was thinking about going to work tomorrow. I'll walk there."

Michael eyed her, "Yeah? Why don't you get someone to drop you off?"

She shrugged, "Don't want to bother anyone."

"The portal is still working. You could take the portal."

She shook her head, "Maybe I want the fresh air." She was rattling his cage. Trying to see if he knew about the whole Naomi thing. "Hey, where were you the other night?"

"I was late from my guitar class. Why?"

Claire shrugged, and looked down at her feet. "Just asking. When was the last time you spoke to Amelie?"

"A while ago. Claire, what do you want?"

"Myrnin told me about Naomi. You know too, don't you?" Michael froze for a few moments. He didn't look happy.

"Of cause he told you. You're not supposed to know about this Claire."

"Were you planning on telling us, Michael?"

"Were you?" He said, his blue eyes flashing. "Are you going to tell Shane?" Claire didn't say anything. "That's what I thought Claire." He rubbed his head and started making his way out of the kitchen. "Just, don't bring this up again, okay?"

Claire nodded, and waited for him to exit the room. It was clear to Claire now, that Myrnin wasn't the only vampire worried about this. She slid of the table and made her way back to the lounge room. Michael had already started softly strumming on his guitar, and she just heard Shane and Eve come in.

"You are not putting that sparkly shit on my bike Eve." Shane said.

"It's not sparkly. They are called Rhine-stones."

"Whatever they're called, you're not doing anything to my bike." Claire slumped onto the sofa just as they entered the room. Shane jumped on next to her and laid down, resting his head in her lap. She brushed her hair to the side and took hold of it, so it wouldn't dangle in Shane's face when she lent over him. She kissed him, just a light brush of her lips on his.

Shane linked his hand through hers, and looked up into her brown eyes. He made a sound in his throat, that only she could hear. She knew what that sound wanted. She giggled and let Shane pull her head down. He kissed her again, and Claire almost forgot where she was. And who she was sitting with.

"Jeez, get a room you guys." Claire broke the kiss, startled by Eve.

"Aren't you supposed to be cooking dinner?" Shane said, more to get her to leave. Then again, they wouldn't have the room to themselves. Michael sat unusually quiet in his armchair playing his guitar.

Eve squealed and dashed off into the kitchen.