Chapter Six

The microphone felt cold in Claire's hands. She stared at Eve and Shane. Eve's smile was crazy, Claire swore that it stretched out to her ears. A couple of people in the crowd called out for Claire. Telling her to sing. She swallowed and nodded, making her way to the centre of the stage. The bus-boy whispered in her ear, telling her which song Eve had suggested. Claire nodded. Lights by Ellie Goulding. She knew that song. The music started off soft, and some people started to quietly clap or cheer.

"I had a way then, losing it all on my own," Claire's voice was soft, but it moved it's way around the room. Myrnin still sat in the back corner, he had a drink in a covered foam cup, but he'd stopped what he was doing to watch Claire. 

"I had a heart then, but the queen has been overthrown.

And I'm not sleeping now, the dark is too hard to beat."

Michael stood with Eve and Shane. He watched her, listening to her voice. But her frantically beating heart told him how nervous she was. Michael smiled a little and moved off.

"And I'm not keeping now, the strength I need to push me."

Claire took a deep breath, and closed her eyes for a brief second. Just as she opened her eyes, the music loudened. An electic guitar started from behind her, causing people to cheer louder. Claire stopped and looked over her shoulder.

Michael stood behind her, rocking his guitar. He smiled and nodded at Claire, telling her to sing. 

Her voice was louder this time, and the crowds cheers raised.

"You show the light that stop me, turn to stone;

You shine it when I'm alone;

And so I tell myself that I'll be strong, and dreaming when they're gone." 

 She caught Myrnin's eyes and he smiled. It was a small smile that made her feel good inside. But she turned to Shane, and her heart beat fast. The way he looked at her, he always made her feel things she shouldn't. Especially in public. His lop-sided smile warmed her and encouraged her to sing louder.

"Cause they're calling, calling, calling me home;

Calling, calling, calling home.

You show the lights that stop me, turn to stone;

You shine it when I'm alone."

"You have such a great voice," Claire barely knew the girl, but she did know her from one of her history classes. "You should totally enter the singing contests at TPU."

"They have singing competitions at TPU?" Claire asked. "Since when?"

"Um, I think maybe a couple of months before the toxic spill."

"Oh." The vampires of Morganville had covered up the whole Draug incident by saying that there had been a toxic spill, and that everyone needed to be evacuated. They believed it. "I don't know. Maybe I'll think about it."

"You should," The girl smiled and moved off, and Claire was able to take another step away from the stage. Just as she was about to make her move back to her friends, a frat boy came to talk to her. Claire let out a small sigh, but she hid it behind her smile.

"Hi," Claire said politely.

"I know you, you're Claire Danvers." He said, smile on his lips.

Claire nodded, "Yup, that's me." She didn't mention that the bus-boy had just said her name only three to four minutes ago.

"I've seen you around campus. You don't live on school grounds, hey?"

"Nope, I don't like it. It's not homey enough."

He laughed, "You should consider moving back. I'd make it homey for you." He winked at her. Claire stared for at least seven moments before she put on a fake smile.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm the only one that makes everything homey for her." Shane's voice came up from behind her and Claire immediately sighed in relief. She lent back against him, feeling his hard chest on her back. Shane's muscles were tense, and ready for a fight. The frat boy shrugged, gave one last sleazy look at Claire, Shane a dirty look, and moved off. Shane relaxed a little, but Claire could tell he wanted to knock his teeth out for making a move on her.

"Who the hell is that?" He asked when Claire turned around to face him.

"No idea," She smiled and put her hands on his chest. "Who cares anyway?"

"I do," Shane said, now snaking his arms around Claire's waist. He moved his head closer to hers. "Can I beat him up?"

"No," Claire said quietly. "He's not worth it." Shane kissed her, and even though they were in public, they both felt like they were alone. His warm lips tasted of coffee and honey, and she relished in his warmth. Shane broke the kiss and whispered in Claire's ear.

"Why is Count Crazy here?" Claire knew he was talking about Myrnin. 

"I don't know? To enjoy a latte?" He pulled away, still holding her around her waist. His eyes were set on something behind her.

"It doesn't look like a latte. Did you tell him to come here?"

"No, why would - Oh, you are not jealous."

He shrugged, his eyes still on Myrnin. "Well, I've had to watch at least five guys hit on my girl. Can't I be a little jealous." She put her hands on his cheeks and turned his head to face her.

"You don't need to be jealous. You're the only guy that matters."

He smiled, a lop-sided grin that made Claire's heart beat fast. "I forgot to tell you how hot you looked out there. You were amazing."

"I thought I was going to faint."

"You didn't though," Shane let Claire go and took her hand. "Now, how about we go do something else."

"The sooner we get out of here the better."

"I think I have a good idea on where to go, rockstar."