Prologue.

Word count: 2822

✩̣̣̣┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩ͯ•͙͙✧⃝•͙͙✩ͯ┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩̣̣̣

Sentire Bellum – Mea Vita.
{Feel the War – My Life.}

{previously;}
'Be a mercenary', they said...

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

"It'll be fun!", they all said. Talking as if the person before them wasn't just a kid, and a very scared one at that.

"..."

The kid stayed silent, still hiding behind a barrel. The light of the rising moon mixed with the darkness making them and the humans before them look like silhouettes.
Why were these people so.. obsessed with them agreeing?

Sure, they didn't have anyone, but that didn't mean that they were so lonely that they'll just go with some random people!
Who knows what they wanted..

"Guys, stop. It's a KID. They probably don't even know what you're talking about."

The people looked up while the kid turned around, with a look of fear. Behind them stood a rather taff looking guy, looking at the mercenaries before him, with a face of disappointment and confusion.

They realised who that guy was. He was like that one uncle who looks like he would punch someone, but is actually the most kindhearted person you will ever meet.
The kid knew that. With him here, they could talk back without fearing for the worst.

"..I'm not a kid. I'm 8.. and what do you all want from me?"

They said, glancing at the guy and the people. They just wanted to sleep in peace, maybe get some food here and there, and now all these humans were surrounding them.

The big guy sighed and took a last look at the mercenaries, before shifting his attention to the small child.
"I don't want anything, but what did these people tell you, little one?"

"..."

One of the mercenaries, a woman, let out a loud sigh and stepped towards the kid.
"Nothing. These idiots-", she pointed to the people behind her, "-just felt the need to suddenly become empathetic and offer this child to stay with us."

"T-That's not true!"
The kid suddenly exclaimed, to which the woman sighed again.
"Look, w-"

"Be quiet."
The guy sent her a warning glare after that warning, and crouched down to the child, giving them a warm smile before continuing to speak.
"What did they tell you?"

Looking at the woman and then at the guy, the kid tried to recall what exactly they got told, though of course they weren't able to remember the whole sentences.
"T-They said that they could take me with them, but I would have to be a.. uhm.. mecenay?"

They couldn't remember how the word was pronounced, nor did they even know what exactly it meant, but the big guy still understood, and sighed disappointedly.

"You offered a KID to become a mercenary? Really? I expected more of you."
He looked at the woman while he spoke, mostly because she was the only one he could see somewhat properly, but she still took offence at his words.

"Hey! Don't tell ME that! I didn't agree to this at all! I would just take this kid somewhere where it's safe, and that would be it."

One of the guys behind her suddenly spoke up;
"Oh, please! We just want someone to take care of! But you know how the captain is, we can't just randomly take a kid without a plan on the ship!"