Chapter 7.

Word count: 2778

✩̣̣̣┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩ͯ•͙͙✧⃝•͙͙✩ͯ┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩̣̣̣

[Escape.]

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

You took another sip carefully, to cover up the fixing of your face mask and look more casual than some other guests.

You kept your gaze on the notes in front of you, on the table. The beer was beside it, your two bags were to your left on the bank you were sitting at, your weapon was under said bank and not visible thanks to the dim light – the only thing that made you slightly more noticeable than others was your cloak and mask.

The two brothers – or just one of them? – seemed to be walking around the bar, Ryker loudly kept complaining about how they spent the past days searching without success and stuff alike.
His brother kept quiet, but you didn't dare look up to check if any of them noticed you yet. If he noticed you yet.

'Ignorance is bliss.'

If you managed to act like you're just another random person enjoying their evening, then maybe you could get out of this without issues. The problem was mainly that you couldn't leave while they were in the bar, but once they left you could sneak out and hide somewhere else.

Your best bet was to keep a low profile and wait. Trying to run wouldn't work, and maybe you were lucky and they'd leave you be.

Wishful, almost naive, thinking, but what else could you do?
Pray? As if the gods would answer you.

...

Some footsteps came closer, but they stopped pretty soon. You heard some voices right after – Viggo and someone else, probably a guest. Soon you heard footsteps again, followed by two voices, his and the one of another guest.

...

And the same process again.
He got closer to you, talking – questioning – everyone on his way. But you didn't hear Ryker getting closer or louder, so maybe he was blocking the door?

You didn't know, but looking up could make it worse. If you accidentally looked straight at Viggo, then he would probably recognise you immediately.
Or maybe he wouldn't, but the risk was there. And that was enough for you to keep your eyes on your notes.

...

His steps got closer and closer.
Less and less time for you to think.
More and more panic slowly creeped its way up to your mind.

...

They stopped. Close to you. Probably at the guest that was sitting a few seats in front of you.
You didn't react. Not yet.

...

Maybe you should've stayed at the ship. Even if it was with Egil, even if you two would've been at each other's throats within a few minutes.

At least you would've known your 'opponent' more. And you wouldn't have to worry for your life.

...

"My deepest apologies for bothering you at such a late time, but may I ask you a simple question?"
You turned your head to look up, at your ex-target standing right beside your table. He looked down at you, something along a fake-smile on his face.

If you hadn't already seen him close up before you might would've been intimated – maybe even slightly flustered – but right now all you felt was nervousness and dislike.