Chapter 2.

Word Count: 5933

✩̣̣̣┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩ͯ•͙͙✧⃝•͙͙✩ͯ┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩̣̣̣

Evening Story - 2.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

"Is that it?" he asked, looking at the mercenary beside him.
They've been telling him the basic boundaries and rules of every mission they do, and also pulled out a book to note everything down to create an 'official' agreement later on that they both had to sign.

If he ever went against any of the written things, he would suffer some consequences and they would immediately quit.
If they ever went against any of the written things, he would be able to decide if they have to quit or are able to continue, but the payment would then also depend fully on him.

So far, everything was agreed upon without any further questions. They made some small notes of everything that was discussed, but now it was time for him to explain their job, and for them to decide if they would take it or not.
Though, so far they rarely ever declined anything, so chances were low.

"Alright then, that covers my part." They stated, turning their notebook to the next page. "Apologies for taking so long. So, what is my job going to be?"

He sighed, while they looked at him and waited patiently. They've gotten used to him taking longer than others to talk, it seemed like he had trouble managing his temper sometimes and the pauses were needed to help him express things without sounding rude.
They wouldn't have minded, but they also weren't sure if their assumption was correct. It could've also been that he just simply disliked them or didn't trust them, and he had to choose his words carefully because of that.

Either way, the pauses were good for them to sort their mind out too, so it was more of a win-win situation.

"Mainly, you need to support my main troop in an upcoming mission, but also provide protection until said mission is done."
Writing some notes down, they nodded and then turned their attention back to him.
"What kind of mission?"

"It should be simple if what people say about you is tru-"
"What kind of mission is it?"

He sighed again and probably frowned underneath his hood. They didn't show anything, but internally they chuckled to themselves. It was so easy to get this man to facepalm, it was kind of hilarious.
Still, the fact that he kept dodging any real information about the thing he wanted them to do was suspicious, he did it during their talk about boundaries and rules too.

Either he didn't fully decide yet, he wasn't the one to actually give the mission, or this was mainly a decoy to get them somewhere for an ambush. It could also be that he just didn't want to share too much information yet, but if that was the case then he had to change his mind soon.
If they weren't given enough information they wouldn't ever accept a job. Too much risk if you didn't have enough knowledge about everything.

Clearing his throat he gained their attention again.
"There's something on an island that I need. My troops are not weak, but easily recognizable in these parts."
'"Ah, so you want me to go undercover and make sure you get whatever you need without being recognized."

He nodded, and they continued;
"Don't you have some spies among your troops though? Surely you would have enough people in your command to do that?"

"I-" He started before stopping himself. He sounded somewhat annoyed, but apparently had enough self control to stop himself from saying anything out of line. What a rare sight, a lot of other people they knew would just scream or be offended. Though he could still do that, of course. But so far he seemed to work really hard on not saying anything without thought.