6. Black Uniform

San could hear Yunho and Mingi muttering in the kitchen. They had been talking quietly to each other for over an hour now, while San pretended to be asleep.

It was for no other reason than San didn't feel like socialising. He didn't want to human today.

Today, San wanted to be a vegetable.

A potato felt fitting. All wrapped up in a ball of soft blankets, nothing but his blonde hair and closed eyes peeking out.

The two men had been talking about taking San to visit someone in the Palace. Some parts were spoken so softly San couldn't hear, but he did gather that this person worked for King Jimin.

It made San nervous. Why did they have to go anywhere today? It was getting closer to San's birthday and everything else, it was a miracle in itself the ointment Yunho gave him kept away so much pain.

San just wanted to pooottaaatoooo.

"Pup?" San slowly peeked his eyes open and looked to see Yunho crouching beside the couch where he lay. "How are you feeling?"

If the blankets were pulled just an inch lower, you'd be able to see the pout jutting from San's lower lip.

"Mm' ok" He muttered quietly.

Yunho smiled gently, San could see the worry in the older's eyes.

"Mingi has some things he needs to do in the city today, but I want to take you to see someone, is that okay?"

No.

"Who is he?"

Yunho bit his lip.

"Do you remember me telling you about Jongho? He killed the last king." San nodded softly.

"He works as a castle guard for the King. We tried getting him to stop working like his brothers, but....he's stubborn. Stuck in his ways I guess. He even insists on wearing nothing but black everyday" the chuckle that Yunho gave was enough to lighten any mood, and even had San peeking out of his blankets more.

"Would you like to visit him? Im hoping he may know where Seonghwa is."

After a quick thought process, San nodded. Yunho smiled and pet his head appreciatively.

It didn't take long to get ready, Mingi left before the other two, and when San and Yunho were both dressed and ready, they left for the castle.

Exactly 10 footsteps away from their home.

After telling the gate guards their business, they were let in to the palace grounds.

It was here San stopped. His entire life, for years, he had always been looking from the other side of the gate, right there, staring at the empty space where he stood now, imagining flames of a funeral.

It was surreal, to be standing where he saw the raven with white eyes in his dreams. Somehow he even vaguely remembered seeing Mingi standing there on the steps. Or at least, he remembered red hair and white eyes.

When San felt ready, he walked up the stairs to where Yunho waited patiently with a kind look in his eyes.

They walked through the Throne Hall, and this time it was Yunho's turn to stop and stair towards the throne and the steps leading to it.

He sighed.

"This is why I never come here." He said softly. It was like Yunho could see it. With his own eyes, right now, Wooyoung's limp body rolling down the stairs. The King's dead body following suit.