The Rain (7)

Soft drops of water call you into consciousness in the Red Forest. This place always looked different, when the entity conjured it up. This time you found yourself near a meat smoking tower. You duck immediately and take a breather. It's been so long.

You grasp your med kit firmly and try to prepare yourself for what's about to happen. As you look for a generator, you find a pustula growing near a bush. It was odd seeing them now. There were viles in the medkit, so you filled them with the blight in the plant. If you make it out of here, you should bring these. It doesn't take very long for you to find a generator as well. It has been a while since you've worked on one of these, but it's almost like riding a bike. You just press and pull until little lamps light up, in the hopes that you can finish the puzzle before someone or something finds you. Anxiously, you look around. You haven't heard anything yet. No sign of any killers. Whenever there is no sign of a killer, you start assuming it's a stalker and it makes you paranoid. Looking around frantically, you blow a fuse. Fuck. For a few moments, you hide behind a stack of logs, waiting for your heartbeat to increase, but nothing happens. Instead, you hear the cry of a teammate across the forest. It was Zarina. You hadn't looked around before you were summoned, so you didn't know who your teammates were, but you always recognise their cries. You sit back down at the generator, slowly and focused, trying to focus on your breathing and not to panic again. You've got this.

Finishing one generator, you see Zarina running towards you. With the help of your blighted med kit, you are able to heal her faster and move on to the next gen. Just when you were about to ask her who the killer was, you hear an all too familiar thunder and your heart sinks into your stomach. "It's-" you tremble. "Pyramid Head. Yeah. And not one that's easy to look at either." You don't understand what she means by that, but you try not to overthink it. They all thought he was a monster anyway.

Your hand reaches for the collar on your neck. It's still there. As you work on another generator with Zarina, your mind races. Franks words echo in your mind.

"The entity has a strong influence over you during the trials. You are yourself, but a lot angrier and a lot more bloodthirsty. Nothing feels like the rush you get when you sacrifice a survivor."

Every urge to go and find Pyramid Head is held back by the fear that he may not be the way he was, when you were in his shack. What if he doesn't recognise you? What if his memory was wiped by the entity? What if he is so drugged by the entity that his anger takes over?

You blow a fuse.

"Fuck."

"Get a grip, damnit!" Zarina curses.

Your hands are shaking now, you don't even notice your heartbeat racing in your ears.

"Fuck, he's coming!" Zarina yells, running away from the generator before you even notice. Suddenly you are grabbed by the shoulder.

You scream and start to try and move off, something sharp is piercing your stomach and you feel it moving with every step the killer takes. You look down, over shoulder and see a bare back with barbed wire and chains all over it, piercing his skin and leaving peeled off pieces with open wounds. A groaning metallic breathing emerges from beneath you as he hunches and carries you. Suddenly, you are flung away from his shoulder and a hook pierces right through you. The sharp convulsing pain makes you scream so loudly that it hurts your own ears but one look at him silences you immediately. Pyramid Head had been tortured. Skin and muscle peeled off, his helmet darkened and fortified. He had wounds everywhere and barbed wire went right through them. Every move he made looked painful, as he walked away from you. You couldn't even tell if he looked at you or not. He seemed to move on auto pilot, driven only by pain and the desire to kill.