2

S T I L E S

"Here's where we found the den," I point my tablet to Allison who's standing next to me, showing her where on the map I brought up. "It's right in the middle of the hiking trails."

"Well, that could narrow it down." Allison follows her finger along the hiking trail on the map. "Coyotes travel in fixed trails, but I think you're right about her not going back to the den. Coyotes don't like wolves. And they're really smart. If they don't want to be heard, they actually walk on their toes."

"Coyote tip-toe?" An imagine pops in my head of this coyote perched up on its toes sneaking across a doorway.

"They tip-teo." Allison rolls her eyes at me. But I can't help but smile. "I need to head to class, send me the pinned location."

Once Allison has walked away I turn straight to Scott. "Scott-"

"If you are going to bring up my sister one more time I swear—"

"Just hear me out!" I grab his shoulders to get him to focus on me, he sighs and throws his head back. "An animal attack? We've heard that before."

Scott looks over to the door of the classroom, I follow his eyesight to see Parker has just walked in, finding her seat with her headphones in.

"I have a bad feeling," I place my hands on my hips and shake my head.

"Stiles," Scott rubs a hand over his face and lets out a long sigh.

"Fine! Whatever!" I wave my hand at him and walk away to find my seat. When I'm seated I can't help but glance back at Parker.

Shes pulled her earphones out and is sitting with her phone under the desk, texting someone.

Suddenly the bell rings and I can't help but notice how she flinched, she shakes it off and looks around to make sure nobody noticed.

She locks eyes with me but I look away.

P A R K E R

Monet🍟🍕
Does Lightning McQueen have car insurance or life insurance?

Me
Definitely life insurance.

Monet🍟🍕
You're out of nachos.

Me
Get out of my house, dude.
That key was for emergencies only.

Monet🍟🍕
It was an emergency.
I ran out of nachos.
Now you are out of nachos.
Double emergency.

Me
Go to school Monet.

Monet🍟🍕
Fine.
MOM

Me
Mommy to you.

"Stiles? You okay?"

I glance up from my phone to see stiles standing at the front of the class, he's meant to reading from the book but he looks like he's about to faint.

He stumbles and Scott runs to catch him, "I should take him to the nurses office." Scott tells Mr Yukimura who nods.

But I know a panic attack when I see one.

***

I'm walking down the back hall near the Locker rooms, replying to a million text from Monet when that girl who picked up my books on my first day runs up to me.

"Wait!" She swings the three bags she's holding further up her shoulder, but she missed and dropps one to the ground.

She finally reaches her hand out for me to shake with a big smile. "I'm Kira."