Whiteout's necklace (💔)

He couldn't.

Arctic was sitting in his room, looking at the horrific item in his talons. A necklace, one with golden bands and a glass clam shell as the centerpiece.

He felt like he was going to puke, every single part of him wanted to toss it away. To smash the necklace into tiny bits.

But he had to. He wanted- no, needed to save Foeslayer.

Even if it comes at the price of his daughter.

Arctic lifted himself up and walked out of his room, his talons dragging across the floor. His mouth felt dry and arid and his breath was shallow and hesitant.

It's for her, Arctic. It's for everyone. The war will be over and everyone will be happy again. No more death, no more fighting...

"Whiteout?" Arctic called. He was standing just before Whiteout's room. There were paints all around the floor while a few brushes were kept inside of a silver cup.

Right in front of him was Whiteout, who seemed busy painting a landscape of the Night Kingdom. It looked absolutely beautiful, with vibrated hues of the setting sun and the magnificence of the palace.

"Father?" Whiteout turned around from her easel. "You seem very green today, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing," Arctic said. "I was out today and I got you a necklace." Arctic held it up high for Whiteout to see.

Whiteout's eyes glittered. "Thank you," she smiled as she held it in her talons. "I'll take great care of it."

"I-" Arctic stuttered, pausing to catch his breath. "I wanted to see how you would look with it on. I think the gold and glass would compliment your scales."

Whiteout looked at herself and nodded. "Okay," she said as she slipped it over her head and onto her chest.

It was quiet for a while after. Whiteout had her eyed closed for a few moments, still and frozen in time.

Arctic looked at his talons and sighed. He hung his head, letting the guilt sink into him.

"Father?" Whiteout suddenly spoke. "Are you alright? You look sad."

Sad....

"I'm fine, my little snowflake," Arctic lied as he wiped some paint from Whiteout's snout. "How about we go visit grandma Diamond? I think you would quite like it there in the Ice Kingdom."

Whiteout smiled, her pearl white fangs devoid of any cracks of stains. "That sounds great! With all of the snow, and ice, and- can I marry a prince?"

The words struck Arctic like daggers, each one hitting harder than the last. Arctic coughed awkwardly. "Of course... let's go now, Whiteout."