Chapter 7

For What It's Worth

Bridgerton House, London

The next morning, the second-born Bridgerton was the first of his siblings to be ready for breakfast. He walked down the stairs to find his mother speaking to multiple members of the staff. He overheard a few things before she dismissed them and they went back to work.

"Ah, good morning, Benedict," Violet greeted him with a small smile.

"Morning, Mother," he kissed both of her cheeks in greeting. "I– I couldn't help overhearing what you said. Is it true? Did you invite the Duke of Hastings to join us for dinner?"

"Tonight, yes. But your brother does not know yet... And I would prefer it to keep it that way," she admitted, and sighed. "I believe he is the perfect match for Daphne. Do you not think so?"

"I rather not say anything on the matter, for I believe it should be our sister's decision," he said with sincerity. "Although... I do want to ask you for a favor."

"Of course," she walked towards him. "What is it?"

"Could we invite Her Majesty to the dinner?" He asked, and his mother chuckled nervously.

"I highly doubt the Queen could ever accept such invitation, no matter how generous it may be," Violet shook her head. "Not even if she chose Daphne as this season's diamond, I suppose."

"I did not mean the Queen, obviously, I meant Charlotte," he explained, and his mother's face softened. "She is back and I consider her a friend, Colin and Daphne agree with me. Still, do you not remember how close she was with us?"

"Well, yes," she lightly nodded. "I remember it quite perfectly."

"Then you must already know how important she was to Anthony," he continued, and sighed. "How important she might still be to him."

"Perhaps," she couldn't deny it. "But I think inviting her might not be such a good idea."

"I beg to differ," Benedict wanted to convince his mother. "I think it is time for them to reconcile."

"May I ask..." His mother wondered. "Why do you seem so concerned about this?"

"I consider her a friend. We spoke a few days ago, and I do not see why we cannot be friends again, like we used to," a small smile graced his face. "I remember us being close. Not only in age, but in friendship. I remember we would sketch together before Anthony... Well, before he would steal her away."

"Oh, I sure remember," she chuckled softly, speaking lowly. "You were all good friends, indeed."

"So?" He asked. "What do you say?"

"Are you sure about this, Benedict?" Violet questioned, and the second eldest Bridgerton nodded. "Very well. I will arrange it as soon as I can. But I do not think your brother will be too happy."

"I think everything will be fine," Benedict smiled. "And, do not worry, Mother. I will personally invite her."

"Alright," she nodded. "Make sure you inform her to arrive around seven, for I informed the Duke the same time."

"I will," he nodded at his mother one last time before he walked away to his brother's study.

While trying to not mess with his brother's papers, he grabbed a paper, the fountain pen and an inkwell. He thought deeply about the time. The Duke is supposedly arriving when the food is cooked, then if she comes earlier, they would have time to talk and see the rest of the family. So, that's what he went for in the end. Besides, he sure remembers how puntual she is.