Chapter 16

Last First Kiss

Sometime later, the Queen Dowager of Württemberg woke up by the sound of Daphne Bridgerton bursting through the door. She stayed quiet in the corner, with her eyes closed, to not draw attention to herself.

"Where have they gone?" She asked her third older brother.

"Daph—"

"Tell me where this duel takes place," she demanded.

"Why would I do that?" Colin questioned.

"So that I may prevent it from happening!" His sister exclaimed in disbelief. 

"Hastings has done you a great dishonor," Colin stated. "Surely you wish to see him pay."

"Not with his life," Daphne remarked.

"It will not come to that," he tried to assure her. "The Duke will remember his honor once he finds himself on the deadly end of a pistol."

"And if she does not?" She questioned.

"They will both do the gentlemanly thing and fire their pistols wide," he responded. "Allow them to bring this ugly business to a conclusion themselves."

"Do you know how many times I have heard that said?" Daphne groaned. "To leave the men to their business and to not concern myself with such weighty affairs, whose affairs are my future, my family. Anthony is too angry to fire wide, and Simon is too stubborn to yield. You did not see them in that garden."

"No, I did not, and neither did anyone else," Colin nodded. "You should be happy that no one saw anything."

"Only, someone did see. Cressida Cowper," Daphne's face softened as she realized it. Even her brother started to panic. "Colin, you must tell me. Where have they gone?"

"Just tell her! For Christ's sake," the Queen Dowager of Württemberg finally spoke, making her presence known from the corner of the room.

"Charlotte?" Daphne frowned in confusion, but her eyes didn't deceive her. "Your Majesty! I– I did not see you there."

"Of course you didn't, and that's alright, you were rather occupied worrying for Anthony and Simon's lives, as I am too," Charlotte sighed as she approached them. "It seems I didn't pray loud enough for your brother to change his mind or for Simon to beg on his knees for Anthony's forgiveness."

"You know Anthony as much as I do, Char, and you know the Duke," Colin remarked. "Neither of those things were ever going to happen."

"A girl can only dream, right? Hope is the last thing one can lose," she lightly rolled her eyes before looking straight at Colin. "Now, let us not waste any more time, shall we? I swear to the Heavens, my dear Colin, if you do not tell your sister your brother's location, I shall have every single ship and captain at the harbor know you are not allowed to step foot on any ship that arrives ashore, much less leave the country."

"You wouldn't," his eyes grew wide.

"Try me," Charlotte dared. "I know how much you desire to travel the world, dearest."

"I was going to take Daphne myself anyway," he huffed. "But... Well played."

"Thank you," she nodded, the smallest of smirks graced her face. "Now, ready your fastest horses. You are running out of time."