Chapter 13

Same Old Feelings

Primrose Hill, London

The Queen Dowager of Württemberg tickled her youngest daughter everywhere just to hear her giggles. It was music to her ears. Meanwhile, her youngest son played with wooden cubes, trying to make a tower. As well as their dog, Max, who accompanied them by laying down on the picnic tablecloth, his head close to Charlotte's legs.

No governesses were in sight, nor royal guards, her Personal Guard or her Ladies of the Bedchamber. They were sitting together at a fair distance, watching the family from afar. Charlotte wanted them to rest, to enjoy themselves for a while; and she took the opportunity to be with her children, privately, like she once used to.

Suddenly, Anton screamed and ran away from her as he laughed. All royal staff and Max were alarmed by the sudden scream of the young prince, but relaxed when they realized where Anton ran to. Charlotte was about to run after him, but Amalia, who was as surprised as her mother, started crying. The Queen Dowager mentally cursed and held her daughter in her arms, resting her head on her shoulder as she followed her son with her gaze. Her body immediately relaxed when she noticed where her son ran into.

"Lord Bridgerton," she breathed weakly, with relief and a smile on her face.

"It seems someone's exited to see me," Anthony teased as Anton walked towards her while being by his side.

Max got up and walked towards the Viscount and smelled his legs. The man petted him for a few seconds before he continued his way towards Charlotte. Amalia continued to cry, but she calmed down when she saw her brother approaching them.

"It seems so," she sighed and glared at her son. "And you, my sweet boy, do not run off like that again!"

"Es tut mir leid, Mummy" he walked towards her and kiss her cheek. I am sorry, Mummy.

"He..." Anthony frowned, then smiled. "He learns quickly."

"Only when I scold him, it seems he understands," both of them chuckled. Amalia continued to cry softly as her mother caressed her back and hair. Then, Max proceeded to lay down once again near the Queen Dowager's legs. "Well... May I ask... Why are you here, my lord?"

"Yes! Uh– Well..." The Viscount scratched the back of his neck nervously. "I went to the palace, looking for you, and... They said you were here."

"I see," she giggled at his nervousness. "And... What can I do for you, Anthony?"

"Well, I..." He sighed.

"Come, sit with us," Charlotte patted an empty space next to her on the picnic tablecloth, almost next to Max. "I'm sure they won't mind."

"What of..." He trailed off nervously. "I– I mean, we're in public."

"Your sudden presence alone will make them talk anyway," she said, and lightly shrugged. "I'm sure a picnic between friends will not do much harm."

"Right. Thank you," he nodded and Anton scooted over for him to sat down comfortably in between him and his mother. "And—"

Amalia cut him off by cooing and giggling as she pulled herself towards the Viscount. The Queen Dowager's eyes grew wide and giggled nervously, the sound as adorable as her daughter's.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she tried to pull her daughter back towards her.

"It's alright," he chuckled nervously as he opened his arms. "I'll just pretend I know what I'm doing."

Charlotte chuckled at his words and proceeded to hand him the young Princess. Anthony remembered the many times he carried Hyacinth to console her and tried to do the same with Amalia. She cooed again as he adjusted her in his arms. To distract her a bit, the mother grabbed a small wooden ball wrapped in wool for her to play with.