Chapter 18

Family Reunion

Bridgerton House, London
A week later...

Last time the Viscount heard from the Queen Dowager of Württemberg was at Daphne and Simon's wedding. There, when she mentioned she wouldn't marry someone below a Kingship. Anthony mentioned what she said to his brothers, and both Benedict and Colin scolded him for his foolishness, saying how Charlotte could have been merely joking.

So, that same night, he went to find her. Even if he had no clue of the outcome.

The Viscount searched the entire dance floor, the corners of the room, his study, and even glanced upstairs to the drawing room... He continued to look at all the princes and princesses present, but even though they were all merrily gathered together... She was still missing.

So, Anthony remembered she once mentioned the garden being her favorite place in Bridgerton House due to the large diversity of the flowers, how colorful and very cheerful it all was.

"Of all places..." Anthony spoke, accidentally startling the Queen Dowager of Württemberg when he found her. "I didn't realize you would be out here, Your Majesty."

"Oh! For Heaven's sake," Charlotte sighed heavily, leaning of one of the columns. "You do how how to make a woman's heart jump, Lord Bridgerton."

The very last time Anthony stood in the garden with her, was when they had their first kiss. To this day, he still remembered every detail of it. From the color of the dress she was wearing, to the shiny and delicate details it had... From the flowers in her hair to the selected jewelry... He still remembered the way her eyes shined in the moonlight, the tears running down her face as she looked at him. How confused he was when he stared into her eyes and saw her soul being shattered before him. The way he felt someone stabbing his chest, over and over, when she admitted she was engaged to a prince –to someone that wasn't him–.

"I do know how to get to a woman's heart," the Viscount lightly smirked, she couldn't help giggling at his choice of words, and he sighed as he tried to push the memory aside. "I wanted to apologize for how I acted earlier. I understand the position you are in, and... I wasn't fair. I'm sorry."

"It's—"

"It's not alright," Anthony cut her off before she could say those exact words. "I have not been fair to you even though I said I would be more...understanding, per say, and... I have not been."

"It's alright, Anthony, truly, but... I suppose..." She slightly hesitated if she should go on with what she wanted to say or not. "I am merely tired of this."

"Of what?" He questioned.

"Of the apologies," she sighed. "It seems like every conversation we have someone must apologize for something, and while I do appreciate taking our words and actions into account, I..."

Then, suddenly, it struck her like a bolt of lightning, illuminating her mind with an invaluable memory. They were now standing, face to face, in the very same place they shared their first kiss. And, by the look in her eyes, Anthony realized she thought of it too. The way his smile moves so slowly across his face like a moonrise, after realizing he had her under his spell.

"You what?" He urged her to continue, even though he -himself- didn't understand what he was waiting for her to say.

"I– I just..." Words failed to leave her lips. It was when she looked away from him and down at her hands that she found the words she wanted to say. "I just don't want us hurting each other anymore."