Chapter 6

Molding Old Friendships

Buckingham Palace, London

Five minutes before the Viscount's appearance, Mathilde, Lauren and Moira took the young prince and princess out of the drawing room to feed them cookies and warm milk. Now, she was standing in the middle of the room, surrounded by the multiple bouquets gifted to her by her callers that same morning. And, of course, as always, Max keeping her company as he sat by her side, until, he stood up and rushed towards the door.

"Lord Bridgerton," Charlotte immediately stood up to greet him.

"Your Majesty," he lightly nodded at her as he looked down at the dog smelling his feet.

"Is there anything you need?" She asked. "Anything you'd like?"

"I'm alright," he responded, and he looked up at her as she took a deep breath. "Are you, alright?"

"Quite well, my lord," she nodded with a small smile as she motioned for him to take a seat. "Please."

The Viscount sighed as he followed her movements and took a seat on the sofa in front of hers. Both of them wanted to converse of their situation, of where they stood with one another... However, none of them really knew what to say.

Luckily, Max broke the ice with a bark. Charlotte couldn't not chuckle at that. Anthony studied the King Charles Spaniel as he jumped on the sofa and casually sat right next to her.

"This is Max. He is quite loyal and very well behaved," she smiled as she petted his head. "He does not bite, either."

Anthony had to admit this was the first time since she arrived that he has seen her. With just his eyes, with no one else in the room, and with a much clear head. Yesterday he went to the palace rather impulsively, but now, he was curious, to see how much a conversation could last within them. The woman before him was someone he didn't recognize. Physically, she almost looked the same, but he knows her mind had changed more since he last saw her. He expected it.

"What shall we discuss?" She wondered, making him snap out of his thoughts. "Is there anything specific you'd like to say, or...ask?"

"I rather talk about life," he said with sincerity.

"Life?" Charlotte frowned in confusion.

"Well, you have not seen me in thirteen years so you could not know of what I like or not to talk about," he stated bitterly. "Your Majesty."

The Queen Dowager bit back her words, not wishing to start a heated discussion when it has not even been five minutes since he arrived. So, she simply took a deep breath, and continued on with their...most civilized conversation.

"Well, do tell me," she sighed. "How has life been treating you, my lord?"

"I assume you recently discovered I am the new Viscount," he simply responded. "Life has kept me busy."

"I see," she lightly sighed. Charlotte hesitated on mentioning it, but she felt deep down in her gut that she had to. "My lord, I am very sorry for the loss of your father. I remember Lord Edmund Bridgerton a good man, a good husband...and a wonderful father."

"Thank you," Anthony couldn't help feeling a knot in his stomach. "And... My condolences for the lost of your husband, Your Majesty... From what I've heard, he was a good man."

"Thank you," the smallest of smiles graced her face. "And, yes... He was."

The Viscount wanted to be mad at her, rather angry, perhaps even furious- enraged... But looking pass his anger, or whatever he felt yesterday when he first confronted her... She was no longer the fifteen year old girl he remembers. In some way, he thought couldn't help thinking she looked to be more matured, wiser... And all those little things made her look more beautiful than she already was to him. The moment he laid eyes on her, it was like as if all that resentment that build up within him over the years was entirely destroyed into pieces that couldn't be molded back together.