Chapter 10

A Scandal To Unleash

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a Duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only one thing amiss?

Let it be known, dear reader, that this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tonque.

Primrose Hill, London

The Queen Dowager, her children and their caretakers were currently making their way to the Bridgerton's picnic. Since Anton woke up a bit hyperactive, she decided to walk to the park from its entrance to the picnic. On the other hand, Amalia was on a stroller, gifted by her older uncle, George.

"Well, well, well. What a sight to my sore eyes," Charlotte smiled widely when she came across the Duke of Hastings, who was riding on his horse.

"Your Majesty," he lightly bowed his head. "Your presence is unexpected."

"Just because the Queen did not want to participate does not mean I cannot," she sighed. "Although, I am starting to regret it. This sun is so bright it is painful to watch."

"I shall keep you all company," he hopped off his horse and stood next to her. "If you'd like, of course."

"Perfect, because you and I must have a talk," a small smirk graced her face as they continued walking. Charlotte pushed the stroller while Anton ran a bit ahead, with Evelyn following him. Both Albert and Olivia walked a bit behind to give them privacy. "I shall like to know of your intentions of courting Miss Bridgerton."

"Miss Bridgerton is a very lovely young lady," he expressed. "And... I– I think she would make a fine Duchess."

"Spear me your lies, Your Grace," she lightly scoffed. "She is a lovely lady, indeed. She would be a great Duchess... But I know the last thing on Earth you would ever want to do is marry."

"Charlotte," he glared.

"Simon," she raised an eyebrow at him with suspicion, making him sigh.

"Thirteen years away and you still know me too well," he smiled.

"I thank the Heavens for gifting me with quite a fine memory," she smirked, and chuckled. "Now I'd like to know the truth, Your Grace."

"Well..." He sighed. He knew he couldn't lie to her, because just like when they were young, she managed to find out. "I suppose you are aware of Miss Bridgerton's troubles with her callers?"

"Lady Whistledown did not fail to mention it," she nodded.

"I am helping out Miss Bridgerton by...pretending to form an attachment with her," he explained, lowly, and the Queen Dowager's face softened with surprise. "I presume you have noticed that, since then, she has been the center of everyone's attention."

"I shall have you know, she didn't need you to be the center of anyone's attention. She's a Bridgerton, and the diamond of the season, her name only brings enough attention," she tried to defend her friend, although when a thought crossed her mind, she sighed. "Yet I am also aware our dear Viscount didn't make things any easier regarding her search for a husband."

"You are correct," the Duke chuckled. "I presume that has been handled?"

"Slightly," she smiled. "But to me, his actions only show how much he cares about his family. Now you have witnessed he'll do anything for them. I'm positive he will be more...reasonable."