Chapter 12

Holding Onto The Memories

This author have always thought that in appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and there is hope of inspiring more newsworthy pursuits.

A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display...like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's Royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in what of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

However, this author wishes Miss Cowper and all possible candidates the best of luck, for it seems there have some actual competition regarding the Prince's heart.

For all those gentlemen who thought Her Majesty The Queen Dowager of Württemberg was off the market... Well, this situation seems to be quite unbalanced, since there is a possibility of another marriage between cousins for the Royal Family. Hopefully, the union's bliss lasts longer than of our future King and Queen's.

Somerset House, London

Both cousins tried to avoid everyone's stares as they arrived to the gallery. But Charlotte thought it was best to leave his side at least for most of the evening. Because of the rumors, and because she didn't want to spend time with the Cowpers. So, she didn't complain when Miss Cressida Cowper tried her best to politely ignore her existence and steal the Prince's attention.

Instead, she reflected on Lady Whistledown's latest. Everyone now thought she was in search for a husband, and that the new Prince in town was a possibility. Charlotte couldn't think of anything more awful and untrue. However, she would be lying to herself if she says she has truly moved on, that her husband's absence no longer affects her...

The memory of the times they spent together as a family, as a Mummy and Papa to their children, always made her cry, since they were moments they couldn't relive again, precious moments that could never occur again... Not with him. It wouldn't be the same if it was someone else, and that certain thought scared her a lot. Could there really be someone out there who could love and treat her children as if they were their own? All of them? Their well-being and future was her main priority beyond everything and everyone else.

"Your Majesty," a male voice made her snap out of her thoughts.

In that moment, she realized she had went into one of the rooms by herself, and was alone, until he walked in.

"Your Grace," Charlotte sighed with the smallest of smiles. "My apologies, I did not realize you were there."

"No, I apologize for startling you," he smiled back. "And for bothering your space and silence."

"You are a dear friend to me, Simon. You could never bother me," she said sincerely, addressing him by his name since they were alone. "Besides, I was just...reflecting."

"Reflecting? I see," he lightly nodded as he approached her. "Well, needless to mention, you are a dear friend to me to... Which means, you can count on me for anything."

"Thank you," she nodded, and took a deep breath before continuing. "I was just...thinking of my late husband... My Fritz... I was thinking of my children, all of them."