The Birth of a Goddess

On the southern slopes of the Himalayas, there was a forest filled with giggles of young and joyful kids. It was an unusual sight; A family, living in the forest. Surrounded by large trees and beautiful plants, there was a hut filled with the love of two mothers and pride of a father. It was the family of the greatest warriors of the future. There were 3 little boys playing with their newborn twin siblings having the time of their life, unbeknown to what future held for them.

On one particular day, while their father had gone to bring some fruits, their two mothers- Kunti and Madri were praying to Mata Parvati and Lord Shiva. Both were immersed in their own prayers. Madri was happy and thankful that she finally got the pleasure of being a mother, after her dreams were crushed by the curse of Rishi Kindama given to her husband-Pandu.

Madri's POV

(in her mind)

Hey Mata, thank you so much for giving me the pleasure of being a mother by making Kunti Jiji tell me those mantras. I prayed day and night to you for a child and in return you have given me twins! oh I am forever grateful to you, my dear Mata Parvati.

Kunti, on the other hand was in her own dilemma.

Kunti's POV

(in her mind)

"Hey Mata Parvati, Lord Shiva, I cannot escape the guilt of abandoning my first child, my ray of light, only to escape the humiliation the society would throw at me. It still hurts me. I can't stop thinking about him. Then, when I thought everything would get better, I got married to the Maharaj of Hastinapur, never expecting that he would marry another lady in just 2 days. Now, my husband is cursed. All I want is the wellbeing of my family, after leaving all the luxuries to live a quiet life in the forest. Please free us from all the troubles. Please, I beg you to look after my family. Mata, please bless our family to always be together."

It seemed like Mata Parvati had listened to her prayers, because a lotus fell into Kunti's lap.

"Jiji, Jiji, look! A lotus has fallen from Mata Parvati's hand to your lap. It seems like Mata Parvati has heard your prayers." Madri exclaimed as she opened her eyes. Thanking Mahadev and Mahadevi profusely Kunti agreed with Madri happily.

Outside

There was a figure outside the little hut of the Pandavas, holding a basket of fruits. Bhima, who saw this silhouette ran towards it and yelled ''Pitashree!'', in joy, while hugging him. ''Jyesth, look, Pitashree is only hugging Bhrata Bhima, he doesn't love us at all!", Arjuna whined jokingly to Yudishthira. Yudhishthira not realising that his anuj was just joking said, "Don't say that anuj, I'm sure Pitashree loves us just as mush as he loves Bhima and that he would hug us too if we go towards him. So, come on. Let's also go hug pitashree!" And off they went running to their pitashree, who hugged them in glee. Pandu and his eldest three sons break their hug and move forward to the twins who were waiting for their attention.

After some time, Kunti and Madri met the rest of them and everyone together went to the banks of the river nearby to do the puja of Mata Parvati and Lord Shiva. Kunti and Madri led the puja while the others prayed and sang praises of the god and goddess. At the end of the puja, a bright light emitted from the river where the holy idols were placed. The goddess of rivers, Ganga Devi, rose up from the water as everyone in awe greeted her. They also saw that she had a beautiful baby in her hand, who was sleeping peacefully.

Blessing the Pandu family, Ganga Ma said "Putri Kunti, today I have come here as a messenger of Mahadeva and Mahadevi. They have answered your prayers my dear child. Mata Parvati has blessed you with a child who will be the strength of your family. If the five brothers are the fingers then she shall be the palm. She will be the balm to your injuries. Tonight, as soon as the moon rises, all of you will forget that she is a part of Mata Parvati herself. Today, I hereby bless this child to have the powers to control water. She will be calm and soothing like the gentle ocean, yet ferocious in anger like a thunderstorm.''

Ganga Devi gave the child to Kunti and went back to her abode. The child- a girl was sleeping with the sweetest smile on her face. She must have noticed that she had been shifted and so woke up. Everyone expected her to cry seeing unfamiliar faces, but, she did the opposite and giggled bright like a full moon. She looked at Kunti and touched her cheek with her small soft hands. Then she looked at Pandu urging him to take her into his arms. Pandu took the baby girl from Kunti's arms adoringly. "Let's take her back to the hut and name her", Madri said knowing tired and excited everyone was. Arjuna enthusiastically said, "Yes ma, let's go. I already have a name in my mind!''

Everyone left the river bank happily with Pandu carrying the little girl, while Kunti and Madri carried the idols of Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati.