Chapter 12

The next day, Callie decided to visit Robert and talk with him about the abandonment papers. Jill was the one to answer the door.

“Callie, what brings you here?” she greeted. Callie didn’t let the Quinns know she was stopping by, as she normally did, since this was a last minute decision.

“Uh, I was wondering if I could talk with Robert.” Callie replied. Jill led Callie to Robert’s office, where he currently was.

“Robert? Callie’s here. She says she wants to talk to you.” Jill said at the door. The man opened the door soon after and said thank you to Jill.

“Callie, hi. What do you want to talk about?” Robert asked, inviting Callie into his office and sitting down.

“Um, the abandonment papers?” Callie said, doing the same. She wanted to find out how Stef got Robert to sign the abandonment papers, since Callie knew that he wouldn’t do it so easily.

“What about them? Why I signed them?” Robert asked, presuming what Callie was going to ask.

“Yeah, kinda. How’d Stef make you sign them like that?” she asked Robert.

“Well, she came by last night. She told me I had to sign them or she wouldn’t leave.” Callie raised her eyebrows at this. Sure, Stef had the personality and the background to do that sort of thing. But to do that for her? She knew Stef loved her very much, but for her to do that just showed how much she truly cared.

“Oh. Wow.” Callie said. Robert nodded. Callie thought back to the night she and Robert went to dinner. It was the first time they’d gone out, due to the judge’s orders. That night, Robert said that he not only wanted to be a part of Callie’s life, but that he wanted to be her dad. To parent her. Callie took a deep breath before responding.

“You know, even if I become an Adams-Foster, we can still have a relationship. I’m pretty sure Stef and Lena won’t stop you from seeing me. You’ll always be my dad, genetically. Adoption doesn’t change genetics. You’ll always be my dad, no matter what. I’m still going to need that male figure in my life somewhere. Just because I’m not going to be living with you, doesn’t mean that I don’t love you. I do, really. I just think that the Fosters are the best fit for what I’ve been through. They know what I’ve gone through, they understand it, and they’re willing to help me through it. I know you’d probably feel the same way, but at the time, I needed the female figures in my life. The Fosters, they’re where I belong.” Callie said.

“Okay. As long as you’re safe and happy, I’ll be okay signing away my rights. I have no doubt that Stef and Lena will keep us from seeing each other.” Robert replied. Callie nodded in response.
“Thank you, for signing the papers.” Callie told him.

“Of course.” Robert replied, getting up and hugging his daughter.