Chapter 9

Callie noticed that she felt a lot better after telling Stef and Lena about her situation with Robert. Callie was even able to eventually tell them about the argument between her and Sophia. She also made the effort to continue calling Stef and Lena her moms as often as she could. Not only did she do it to show Robert she loved the Fosters, but she also wanted to show everyone else, even herself, that she was willing to do anything to stay with a family that truly loved and cared about her.

--

Stef sat at her desk, trying to finish up a stack of paperwork, though her mind kept wandering off to what Callie told her and Lena a couple weeks ago. She slammed her writing utensil down on the desk light enough to not disturb anyone or accidentally hurt herself. She couldn’t focus on her the current task at hand, and she knew that the work would just pile up if she didn’t complete it. Stef couldn’t put aside Callie’s situation, as hard as she tried to. Before returning home, she decided to stop by Robert’s house to pay a visit. It was a last minute thing, so nobody got a heads-up of any visit.

“Stef, what are you doing here?” Robert asked, answering the door.

“Do you have time to chat?” Stef asked in reply. She didn’t really want to be too upfront with what she wanted to talk about.

“Uh, yeah sure. Come on in.” Robert said, making a way for Stef to enter. Once the two were seated comfortably in the living room, Robert asked, “So, what brings you here?”

“Well, I wanted to talk about something.” Stef said. “Regarding Callie.” A few seconds of silence passed before she continued. “She told me that you wouldn’t resign the papers and that Sophia ripped the first copy. Is that right?” She asked, in her cop mode.

Robert nodded. “I could barely get myself to sign the first copy. I didn’t want to do it again.”

“She also told me that you promised that she could get adopted by the Fosters.” Stef followed up. She had the entire thing rehearsed and ready.

“Yes, but…” Robert responded.

“But what?”
“Sophia. She loves Callie.” Robert said.

“Yes, I’m aware of that. From what I recall, Callie was extremely upset at Sophia for ruining her adoption.” Stef made sure to quiet that down in case Sophia was listening in.

“Because she wants Callie to be her sister.” Robert followed up, trying to protect Sophia.

“I’m aware. Even if Callie was legally be adopted by Lena and I, it isn’t like her genetics would change. Sophia would still be her sister.” Stef said.

“Same goes for Callie and Jude, if I were to adopt her.” Robert argued back. “She is my daughter and I will fight for custody. I am her father and I want her to be happy.”

“If you really wanted her to be happy, you would let me adopt her, because she is truly happy with my family.” Stef argued back, getting even more infuriated with each passing minute.

“She is my daughter.” Robert said back.

“Yeah, the one that you abandoned.” Stef said angrily.

“In my defense, I didn’t know that Colleen was pregnant.” Robert said.

“So then why’d you leave in the first place?” Stef challenged.

“I thought this was about Callie.” Robert said, trying to change the subject.

“It is. But have you ever thought about how Jill might feel whenever you talk about Colleen? ‘Colleen this, Colleen that’” She said.

Robert looked troubled. “I haven’t really thought about that.”
“Exactly. Maybe you should ask her.” Stef replied. “Callie is hoping that you’ll sign the papers.” Stef said, handing Robert the copies that she was able to get from the judge.

“Sophia will be upset.” Robert said, speaking for Sophia.

“And there will be even more people upset if you are the one who adopts her.” Stef replied. Robert sighed. “Can I at least talk with my family about this?”

“I’m not leaving until you sign those papers.” Stef replied. “So make it quick.” Robert nodded before leaving the room, leaving Stef to her own thoughts.

--

Author's Note: Hope you all have a great Christmas and a great New Years!