Chapter 3

“Jude, baby, don’t worry about me. Okay?” Callie said, realizing what she had previously said.

“No, Callie, I know something’s up. I could see it in your eyes. What’s going on with the Quinns?” Jude asked again.

“Jude, I don’t want to tell you because if I do, you’ll worry about it. I don’t want that.” Callie responded, trying to end the conversation of her troubles.

“Just tell me Callie! You don’t have to hide anything anymore!” Jude pushed.

“I don’t want you to have to carry a heavy burden like I have to, okay?” Callie said.

“I’m worried about you, Callie.” Jude asked again, calmer this time.

“I know baby.You would be even more worried if I told you. I don’t want you to experience that.” Callie responded, in a softer tone. Jude knew Callie would always want the best for him. But he already had a secure family. She didn’t. He knew that Callie would want him to just end the conversation right there, but Jude was still worried about his sister.

“Can you please tell me?” Jude asked again. He would keep asking, no matter how long it took, until Callie told him what was going on. Callie shook her head. He was surprised that she didn’t walk away.

“You don’t have to keep secrets anymore, Cal. You have people who love you. Just have to tell me what’s going on!” Jude asked again. Again, Callie denied. Tears were forming in her eyes.

“I’m not telling you Jude! I don’t want you to be even more worried about me! Just let it go!” Callie yelled back.

“You told me enough information that I have no choice but to worry for you!” Jude yelled back.

The two siblings hated yelling at each other, but Callie and Jude each had their own motives, and wouldn’t stop until they reached their goal. As usual, Lena was notified of any arguments that happened at the school. She didn’t expect it to be her own kids.

“Callie, Jude!” She yelled over the two. The teenagers were clearly both upset at each other.

Instantly, the two were quiet.
“What is going on?” Lena asked in the tone of voice nobody liked. Callie and Jude both avoided Lena’s gaze and stared at the floor. Jude knew he could tell Lena that Callie was hiding something. He knew his sister wouldn’t like it, so he kept quiet.

“Let’s go to my office. Come on guys, we can talk there.” Lena said. Callie didn’t want to tell Lena about the papers just yet, so decided to turn and run out of the hall.
“Callie!” Jude yelled after her. Lena wrapped her arms around Jude and he broke down in tears. He knew he shouldn’t have pushed Callie this hard. He didn’t mean to hurt Callie’s feelings, he just wanted to try and help. Lena hugged Jude as he cried into her sweater.

“Jude, honey, lets go to my office and talk about it, okay?” Lena asks, holding the boy’s tear-stained face to look at her. Jude nodded and dried his face before snuggling into Lena’s side as they walked to her office.