03

Today is my first day of work and I'm kinda excited.

You have to know that I'm not very good at handing out food.

Once, after I had cooked something, I put it on our table...

Well, actually I tripped over my own legs beforehand and all the food landed on the floor.

"You can go and get changed now if you don't have any more questions," says Lisa, my boss, after giving me a briefing.

So I go and put on my work clothes and start straight away.

After 4 hours I have my first break.

Lunchtime is over and so there is not so much going on until the evening time starts again.

"Good evening. Do you know what you want to eat?" I greet a slightly older lady who is sitting all alone in the restaurant.

"Of course. Just a moment, please," she answers me and smiles.

She then takes her reading glasses from the table, pulls them up, opens the menu again and starts talking again.

"I would like a still water and a glass of champagne to drink, please. For starters I'd like the bruscetta and for the main course I'd like the rum steak," she says and takes off her reading glasses again.

"Okay, thank you very much," I say and leave the table.

Exactly 6 minutes later I return with the starter and another 12 minutes later the main course is also served.

"Then I'd like to pay now, please," she says, already taking out her credit card.

"Of course, just a moment," I reply.

She pays, gives me a very generous tip and then leaves the restaurant.

She was definitely the friendliest customer I've served today.

After another 2 hours of work, I'm finally done.

"Hey. I'm Jamie. You're new here, aren't you?" a male voice suddenly asks me from behind.

I turn around and in front of me is a good-looking, about 1.85m tall, blond, blue-eyed man.

"Um, yes, I'm Aayana. Today is my first day," I reply, smiling a little nervously.

"Nice to meet you," he says and smiles at me.

"I've noticed you all along. I just haven't had a chance to talk to you yet. You really have a great aura and a great smile," he says again.

I smile again, a little forced. I don't know how other people manage to react well to compliments, but with me it always ends in an unpleasant situation.

"Um, thanks," I say.

"Your shift is over now too, isn't it? Would you like to go for a drink with me?" he asks me unexpectedly.

Actually, I don't want to turn him down now, but I'm really tired and I just want to go home.

"I'm really sorry that I have to turn you down, but I'm really exhausted today and I just want to go to bed. Maybe another time?" I ask him back. After all, it certainly won't hurt me to make a few new contacts.

"Oh, yeah, sure. Give me your number and we can make an appointment," he says.

I just nod and quickly take my mobile phone out of my pocket.

I enter my number into his mobile and we say goodbye to each other.

I then go out through the back entrance and to the next underground station and go straight home.