06

Another two weeks have already passed. And I was lucky. My work shifts were such that I didn't have to meet Jamie once.

Today is Friday and I only have to work in the morning and at lunchtime. Then I have two days off again.

"Hello?", I answer my mobile after it has rung a few times and get on the train.

"Yes, hello, this is Reiss," he greets me.

"Yes, I know. Your name is on the screen. What's up?", I ask him and sit down on a seat.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm taking Mum to the clinic today. And then I would have the weekend off. If you want, I could take you to Brighton with me. Then we can do something," he says and I look a little surprised. Luckily he can't see me now, otherwise he would ask why I look like that.

"Um, yeah, why not? I have to work until 3 p.m. today but then I would be free for the weekend," I say and look out of the window for a moment.

"All right. I need two hours to get to this clinic anyway. So it's possible that I won't even be finished by 3 pm. But send me the address where you'll be at that time and I'll just have a look," he says again.

"Yes, okay. I have something to do afterwards anyway. I'll write to you then," I say again.

"Okay, all right. See you later," he says and hangs up.

There's just one problem. I don't have any clothes with me. I certainly can't walk around there for two days in the same clothes.

I quickly look at my watch. It's only 10:15. My shift starts at 11am. Actually, I wanted to go for a walk in the park to clear my head a bit. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

So I get off at the next station and take the direct route home.

In my room, I take the small suitcase out of the corner and stuff a lot of clothes into it. It would probably last me 3 weeks, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

Who knows, maybe half of it will get dirty and I'll have to change 7 times a day?

"Mum? Are you awake?" I ask after hearing a knock at the door.

"Yes, I'm here," she says from right behind me.

I wince a little because I'm so scared.

"Why are you packing?" she asks me.

"I'm going to Reiss for the weekend," I say and close the suitcase.

"I'm glad," she says.

Did I just hear that right?

I look at her a little puzzled.

"I've been alone a lot lately. I've had a lot of time to think and I've realised that I've been a bad mother to you and when I get back I'll do everything I can to make it up to you, if only a little, if you'll give me the chance," she says and looks at me expectantly.

"No, Mum. You weren't a bad mother. You did your best," I reply. We both know that's not quite the truth, but at least she's acknowledged it now and that's the first step towards recovery.

"I have to go again, too. But I'll see you soon," I say and give her a big hug.

I have to take a deep breath in the air. I don't know when I last hugged my mother.

I drive all the way to work again and am still too early.

"Hello, so nice to finally see you again. The sight of you makes the whole day 10 times better," is all I hear in his voice.

I don't turn to him, but just roll my eyes.

"Do you have time today? Do you want to meet up?" Jamie asks again.