09

The next morning, a knock wakes me from my sleep.

Who is this person and why does he wake me up in the middle of the night?

So I quickly switch on my light and go to the door.

I open it and there is a beautiful blonde woman standing in front of the door.

I look at her a little confused.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" she asks me kindly and smiles at me.

"Uh no. I was already awake...", I lie and still look at her sleepily.

"I'm Celeste, by the way," she says and holds out her hand to me.

Ah. His wife.

"I'm Aayana," I introduce myself too and shake her hand briefly.

"I'm sorry I didn't greet you yesterday, it's not normally my style either, but I wasn't feeling so well and just couldn't get up," she tries to justify herself.

"No, it's fine," I say and smile.

"Do you want to have breakfast with us? I've already fixed everything," she asks me.

How could I say no to eating?

"Yeah, sure, I'll just change first," I say and am about to turn around.

"No, no, we're all still in our pyjamas. You don't have to change," she says again and only now do I see that she really is wearing Mickey Mouse pyjamas.

I like her already.

So I follow her into the dining room and not everyone is sitting there, but only Beau and Ciel.

"What about Reiss and Jadon?" I ask her as I sit down opposite her.

"I'd better let them sleep. They have to get up so early all week and now they have a day off," she says and opens a small tin of baby food.

She takes the spoon and starts feeding Beau.

But when Ciel sees this, he starts to cry.

"Do you want me to help you?" I ask Celeste.

"You can give it a try. But they don't really let anyone feed them. Except me and Reiss of course but also Jadon. He is a real exception," she says, but pushes a spoon and a can of baby food over to me anyway.

So I open the can and slowly bring the spoon with the baby food to the boy's mouth.

He'll probably spit it all back at me now.

But no. I was wrong. He eats it without grumbling even once. And he stops crying too. Instead, he even laughs now.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Celeste looking at me admiringly.

"How did you do that?" she asks a little incredulously and laughs.

"I don't know," I say, shrugging my shoulders.

After a few more minutes, they both finish eating and Celeste now puts fresh bread on the table for us.

"How long have you and Reiss actually been together?", I ask her and take a bite of my bread, which I have smeared with jam beforehand.

"You won't believe this, but it's three years to the day today," she says, stirring her tea.

"Really? What a coincidence. And... do you have anything planned for today?", I ask her a little curiously.

"No... You have to know, since the twins were born we haven't done anything on our own. Reiss is always on the road, I hardly have any friends here, my whole family lives in France and so I can't even look after them like that," she says a little sadly now.