Chapter 3: A Midnight Disturbance

As I walked out onto the side street, I encountered a familiar blue-haired girl rummaging through the bins.

"Hey Powder, what are you looking for?" I inquired curiously, walking up beside her.

"Scraps for my bombs, Mouser didn't work today," she sighed sadly, "But maybe I can get the others to work."

That creative spark must have been reminiscent of what Viktor had seen in me all those years ago.

"They will work, they're already looking so promising," I smiled, picking up a bit of rubbish beside her, "Hey, what about this?"

It was a small metal contraption that looked quite like a bear trap.

"Perfect!" Powder grinned, before taking it from my hands excitedly, "Thanks y/n."

"No problem," I replied, turning around to leave, but then the words I overheard earlier suddenly struck me.

"Wait, didn't a building blow up? Was that something to do with you?"

As I swung round again to look back at Powder, I was met with a guilty face.

"How did you know.." she trailed off, staring at the ground, "..fine I'll tell you, I found these and they- they caused the explosion."

She reached into her bag and held out a glowing blue orb in her hands, a crystal of sorts. Curiosity got the best of me, and before I could think logically I took it from her, touching the rough surface. My hand was electrified, energy running through my veins. This was unlike anything I'd ever seen.

"I haven't told anyone else yet, please don't say a word about it," the girl continued, looking at me with pleading eyes.

"I won't" I promised, handing her the crystal back, "But please be careful, these things are dangerous if they can destroy a whole building just like that. Tell Vi whenever you can, she needs to know."

Powder nodded firmly, a proud smile now on her face, before I could say anything else she ran back through the door. It felt wrong, a child shouldn't be in control of that sort of power. Shaking the incoming thoughts from my head, I began to make my way down the alley and turned a sharp corner. Again, I was racing along the now eerily empty streets, even more treacherous at this time of night. Someone could easily emerge from the shadows, catching me in their grasp. I went over the fighting skills Vi had taught me in my head, distracting myself as best as I could. I felt a sense of relief as I turned into another alley. This was it. I just had to go down a couple more streets and I would be home and safe.

Suddenly, the air was knocked out of me as I felt myself slammed against a brick wall. Looking up, I met the eyes of an enraged enforcer. This couldn't be happening, not now, I was so close.

"Let me go, please sir," I begged, tears stinging my eyes.

"No way in hell," he spat, "What are you doing roaming the streets at this time trencher? Seems questionable that four kids were fleeing a crime scene, and now I've found one creeping through an alley."

"I was just trying to go home, I was busy all day, ask anyone from here."

"You really think I'd trust Undercity scum? Don't try that with me kid," he smirked.

I struggled in his grasp, panic rising in my chest. He was overpowering me, and there was no way I was going to pick a fight with an armed enforcer. Then, I remembered something. They were human too. they had weaknesses, I just had to find one, and quickly.

"Do you have kids sir, a family?" I asked as innocently as I could muster.

I saw something flicker in his eyes, I had struck a chord perhaps.