Chapter 28: A Disturbed Slumber

Viktor clenched the note in his hands, a single tear releasing itself from his weary eye and landing onto the paper, dampening it.

Dearest Viktor,

I know that I wasn't supposed to, but I stumbled across your latest work. I'm sure you're not exactly proud of it, it's desperation, isn't it? And I get it, because I uncovered the horrible truth, something that has ruptured me beyond repair.

You're ill, and you're dying. I had hoped to see you in person, and I long to even more now. I want to say a final goodbye to you, to give you closure, and unfortunately this letter might be that last goodbye.

Not a day has gone by where I haven't missed you Viktor, I hope that you know that. You paved the way for me, my achievements would have never been accomplished without your mentorship. You don't deserve this, but what you're doing to yourself is destructive.

As much as I want you to stay alive, Shimmer isn't the way. It tears people apart and pollutes you in ways unimaginable. I love you Viktor, but this has to stop. It can't be doing you any good, mentally and physically.

This world is cruel, it gave us such a short amount of time together. That's why I'll cherish those shared moments that we had, always and forever. If you feel as if your contributions are insignificant, a mere dot on science, you would be mistaken. You're worth much more than you think, your accomplishments are massive.

You will be remembered. I will make sure of it.

Love, y/n

He shook as he read the final words, but not even this could prevent him from what he was about to do next. His eyes focused on the spinning Hexcore in front of him, his sign of hope. If anything, this letter motivated him to do it. He wanted to be here for y/n, and he was so close to finding a solution, he couldn't give up now.

Nothing could stop a man so invested in his cause. Not even the pleas of those he loved most. He let go of the letter, taking the implement holding the purple drug. He took a deep breath, injecting it into his arm.

—————————

I panted as I skidded to a halt in a random alleyway, keeling over and trying to catch a breath. I had ran for who knows how long, all that mattered was that I had gotten away. Safety wasn't guaranteed however, Silco's gang members crawled around the Undercity like carnivores awaiting their prey. They were most likely on the lookout for me, so I stayed concealed in the shadows of grimey alleyways, avoiding eye contact with the other Zaunites.

Needing rest, I slid down to the ground beside a wall and leaned against it. I closed my eyes, giving myself some rest. Quickly enough, I fell into a much-needed slumber, my head hitting a bin beside me. Groggily, I was awoken to chatter beside me, two men having a conversation.

"Word on the street is that enforcers broke into one of Silco's plants, that Councillor guy and Vander's daughter."

Vander's daughter? Surely they didn't mean Vi?

I rose from the ground, the two men backing away.

"Woah didn't see you there!" one exclaimed.

"Hey aren't you that engineer?" the other muttered, "I heard Silco wants you dead."

"Be quiet. Just tell me more about what you were just talking about," I commanded them, being met with smirking.

"Or what," one man belittled me.

"I think Silco would pay a hefty price for the little engineer here," the other man chimed in.

"Didn't you hear? I held a knife to that bastard's throat," I spat, "Don't cross me."

They both widened their eyes, glancing at one another.

"Alright alright, calm down," one finally said waving for me to stop, "Vander's kid Vi, the one that went missing and came back, y'know her?"

"Oh, I know her well," I responded, warning in my tone.

"Well she and that Councillor fellow, Jay or something? They went into one of Silco's plants and sabotaged it, lost him out on a lot of money."

"Vi wouldn't work with him," I concluded quickly.

"Well don't shoot the messenger kid, it's just what's been spreading around."

It wasn't a good idea to trust rumours, but these seemed to ring true. Perhaps Vi went back, that's why she wanted me to leave. She wanted a change, and who else to go to but the man who wanted war.

"Well, thanks," I decided, "Don't tell anyone you saw me, or you're done for."

The men both nodded abruptly. It was odd, having this much power. I was known as a meagre engineer doing odd jobs for the Undercity only a short while ago, but in a matter of days I had asserted my power. People recognised me, but not for my work, not anymore. I trudged away, thinking of my next move.

I didn't know how long I had slept for, it was hard to tell in the dingy Undercity when you couldn't even catch a glimpse of the sky. It had probably been long though, I hadn't slept properly in a while. Finally, I made my decision on where I was going next.

It would be risky, but even moreso to roam the streets unarmed. My weapons lay in my apartment, it wasn't far from here. As I kept to the side streets I came across one that felt oddly familiar. Then it hit me. It was the place where Marcus had stopped me, my first and certainly not last confrontation with the man. I knew that he was gone, that he could no longer threaten me, but the memory still made me shudder as I continued across the alleyway.

A grin crept on my face as I saw my apartment block. Home. I had lived here for a long time, always wanting to be independent. It was sad having no family with me, but I always had known that my found family was not far away. Most likely getting into fights or messing around at The Last Drop. That was far in the past however, now that family had crumbled apart. The remaining people being at constant conflict.

The creaky stairs and sounds of arguments behind the thin walls were almost welcoming as I made my way up the stairs. Then I found my way to the door, pushing it open and smelling the lovely scent of home. My warm bed was in front of me, my furniture that I had worked hard for. It was tempting to just sit here, to relax and forget my worries. But I couldn't.

I was here for one thing: my weapons. Vi had told me to lie low, but there was no way that I was doing that. I needed to help her, and help Jinx if I could. I knew where my weapons were, a box at the bottom of my wardrobe. Reaching forward, I grabbed the handle. Something in my gut told me that something was off, but I ignored it. Twisting the handle I opened the wardrobe.

Then was met with a pair of glowing pink eyes.