Chapter 10: A Doomed Celebration

What was Jinx doing? Thoughts of possible scenarios flooded my brain. Maybe she was attacking the Firelights, or possibly revisiting the scene of crime from earlier. Then, a plausible one came to mind; she was going back topside to prove herself after today's turmoil.  Whatever lengths she would go to would surely be drastic. Today was Progress Day after all, it would be easier to pull off the perfect crime while the city was celebrating and had its guard down. Although this was just a theory, I decided to go with my gut. It had worked for me before, and taking this risk could save lives. I really had no idea what she was planning, but this was Jinx. She was unpredictable in her every move, irrational.

Running out into the streets, thoughts now raced in my head of a potential destination. The Progress Day speech would be commencing around this time, and Jinx would undoubtedly want to make a statement. The capitol building would be the likely venue for this address. Although my chances seemed slim, I had an odd certainty about it. Ideally, I could stop her before it was too late. With no knowledge of the girl's plans, I just had to follow my instincts.

I finally skidded to a halt in front of the bridge after what felt like hours of running that had really only minutes. Suddenly, the past was being dug up yet again. This bridge had been the setting of the horrors that day, and only now was the trauma resurfacing. Not now. I had no time to relive the past, I had to think of the future. What could happen if I didn't intercept whatever Jinx was planning. My legs began to move almost at their own accord as I started to run over the daunting bridge. The river on either side of me stood oddly still, it's murky waters deep and holding the secrets of the past. Eventually, my feet hit the pavement.

Beautiful houses surrounded me, their intricate designs mesmerising. Lights in elaborate street lamps flickered, the paved streets guiding the way to success. Never before had I set foot in this place, it had always seemed so unreachable, and now I was here. It's allure wouldn't trick me however, behind this city was a history of evil, of disregard for those of a lower class. Everyone who I had ever loved had been wronged by this place. It's enchanting atmosphere was merely a facade, a mask which concealed the face of corruption.

With anger now fueling me, I ran onwards. The streets surrounding me were empty of people, most presumably out partying or attending the much anticipated speech. Looking up I saw street lamps adorning banners, Jayce Talis's smug face plastered on each one. The face of progress. What progress had been made really when only topsiders benefited from it? Us undercity dwellers were left to rot.

An elegant building stood towering the distance, I sped up as I realised that it was the capitol building that I had been so hopelessly searching for. Then, a disheartening stench struck my nostrils. Smoke. Its horrible smell sent a warning, a fire was nearby. Looking around wildly, I saw a building even closer with clouds of smoke erupting from it. Jinx's involvement in this seemed likely. I had to stop her now, this would only cause further trouble in her life. Charging onwards, I approached the building at a rapid pace. I had to get there before it was too late.

And I was. An explosion sounded as I came closer to the scene, my eardrums ringing violently. My eyes watered relentlessly as I saw it blown to bits, fog surrounding it. Fortunately, I hadn't caught the brunt of the blast, however I couldn't say the same for any unsuspecting souls who had crossed it . All I could do now was find Jinx. I coughed as I fought against the incoming smog, desperately trying to find her. It cleared slightly to reveal a sight that made my heart drop. I saw a girl sprawled out on the ground, smoke closing in on her. Covering my mouth, I advanced towards her. My vision adjusted, and that's when I saw her uniform. A blue, white and gold. She was an enforcer.

A part of me urged myself to continue my search for Jinx, and another pleaded with me to help this enforcer girl. She seemed so young, not that much older than me. That thought stung, I couldn't leave her out here to suffocate on the fumes. The conflict within me only grew when I looked up to see Jinx, the coordinator of this chaos. She was wandering into a building and cackling madly. A dilemma arised: should I help the girl or stop Jinx? Her plans hadn't stopped here, she was clearly about to wreak even more havoc upon this place. Already, my vision was becoming hazed, I felt light-headed from breathing the heavily polluted air. It was clear that I was moments away from passing out. I made my decision.

Sluggishly grabbing the enforcer's wrist, I felt the reassurement of a pulse. She was just unconscious. In a final attempt at redemption, I dragged her slumped figure away from the carnage before us. Her eyes flickered open to see my hunched form, horror in them as she fought inevitably falling back into a comatose state. My vision was darkening, my world spinning in a wild frenzy as I helped us to reach safety away from the blaze. I felt my knees give out, I let go of the girl as I fell to the ground.

Approaching footsteps thudded nearby, the sound of shouting the last thing I heard before slipping away into the darkness.

A/N- Sorry for the shorter chapter, this was more of a filler before some exciting stuff happens. Hope you enjoyed!! :)