Chapter 19: An Uncertain Future

Viktor stared down at the polluted waters below. The industrial factories were eyesores, bland and leaking oil. Still, this was a special place to the scientist, one that held so many memories. He remembered teaching a young y/n here, watching them begin to grow into something remarkable. He knew for certain that they would leave an everlasting mark on Piltover, they were destined to. But for him it was too late. His contributions to science were microscopic. A germ that would eventually die out, just like how he would. After all, his demise was approaching at a rapid pace. His fragile body was giving up. He could feel it. His time left on earth was short, he wanted to do something that would undoubtedly leave that mark, but the clock was ticking.

Heimerdinger suddenly appeared to discuss Viktor's hopeless case with him. Of course, the yordle could never relate to this fear of death, he was hundreds of years old after all. He had watched hundreds upon thousands meet a mortal fate, and he would watch Viktor do the same. The memory of Viktor would eventually fade away from the professor's mind, he would just become another name added to that never ending list. Their discussion was one bleak, the yordle's usual cheeriness absent.

"I have seen many students," Heimerdinger stated, "It's a sad truth that those who shine brightest often burn fastest."

Viktor considered his wise words as they both stared out at the blue skies. He sighed.

"I want y/n to know about my prognosis," Viktor decided, looking down at the small professor's worried face, "I may not see them again, this time our reunion can't wait over a decade."

"My, my boy. It is quite unfortunate timing for dear y/n to leave," Heimerdinger replied, shaking his head, "They will find you again, I am sure of it."

Viktor nodded solemnly, the nostalgia striking him yet again when he peered down at the flowing waters. A dumping ground for Piltovians, but a playground for Zaunites.

——————

It was quite pleasant. Working away busily and distracting myself from the turmoil beyond the rusted metal walls. The blue-haired girl prattled on while rock music shook the lair, a strangely comforting combination of sounds. I examined textbooks and welded metal carefully, using the cracked goggles Jinx had lent me as a shield for my eyes.

"Looks like I'm going to need some more materials," groaned Jinx, "I'll be right back y/n!"

With that she ran away, scaling up the ladders. I was slightly worried about whether or not she would be alright on her own, almost forgetting that she wasn't that young kid anymore. Still, her brain hadn't seemed to grow in age since then. She was still very much childish, dependent on those around her. I couldn't even blame her, not after all of the horrific things that she had been through.

While she was absent, I decided to explore the lair further. Surveying the room, I noticed a crooked sofa sitting on a propeller, something slumped over it. Cautiously I approached it, I felt a shock stir in my veins as I finally realised what it was. A mannequin of sorts was sitting there, bearing a scary similar resemblance to Mylo. Why had she made this? It didn't seem soothing in the slightest, it felt grim. This had been her brother, mean at times but still loved all the same. And now he was resurrected in this doll.

Shaken up, I returned to my work and attempted to continue with trembling hands. Eventually I got back into the rhythm of things, erasing that image from my head as best I could. As I paused to flick to the next page of a textbook, it struck me that Jinx had been gone for quite some time. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, so I made the decision to climb back up those creaking ladders.

Upon hopping down to the concrete, I noticed that the street was empty. No one was in sight. A mist covered my feet from a billowing exhaust nearby as I went onwards. My heart thudded as I saw someone in the distance approaching me, I instinctively reached for the wrench in my pocket which I had taken from Jinx's lair. However, my grip on it loosened as they got closer.