Chapter 5: An Angry Mob

"We should hit them back. We've got the numbers to beat them," came Sevika's deep voice as she slammed her hands down on the table.

If only she knew the real reason why Vander wasn't fighting back. Vander stood beside Benzo, leaning back on the bar and facing the angry crowd in front of him.

"Yeah. Let's teach them what it means to mess with us," a man chimed in from the crowd.

There was a roar of agreement in response. Vander lit his pipe and furrowed his brows quizzically.

"You sure that's what you want? We crossed that bridge once before and we all know how that ended."

I tried to shake away the feeling of grief that washed over me upon hearing those words. My eyes travelled to Powder and Vi standing beside me, their faces grim.  They'd lost their parents too. Vi looked at me with sudden realisation, outstretching a bandaged hand and gripping mine firmly.

"You're just protecting your kids," another man scoffed, looking over at all of us standing at the back.

"I'm protecting our people. I'd do the same for any one of you. We look out for each other, that's the way it's always been. This will blow over, we just need to stand together."

Filled with conflicting viewpoints, I let go of Vi's hand and stepped forward. As a witness of the horrors that day at the bridge, I could sympathise with Vander, however if we didn't fight there would be no change. I felt everyone's stares, their anticipation for my incoming words. I took a deep breath.

"If we fight, more will die. Family and friends will be lost. If we just wait around and do nothing, even more will perish as a result of topside's disregard for our suffering. No one wins, blood is shed either way."

The bar was deathly silent, everyone perplexed. Sevika was the first to speak up.

"You are right y/n, but if we fought for our cause their deaths wouldn't be meaningless anymore, they would be for the freedom of the undercity."

Murmurs of agreement surrounded her as she returned her gaze to Vander. As much as I wanted to side with him, Sevika's words rang true.

"The Vander I knew, the one who built the underground, wouldn't be afraid to fight," she continued, glowering at him.

Vander walked closer to her, smoking his pipe and frowning. They were face to face.

"Do I look afraid?" he muttered.

Sevika glared.

"No. You look weak."

With that she left, the rest of the congregation following her. I turned around to a defeated Vander with Benzo by his side.

"I'll be right back."

Not waiting for a response, I ran through the entrance doors and out into the streets. Finally, I got to the front of the horde, grabbing Sevika's arm. She snapped her head around, cold eyes analysing me skeptically.

"What do you want kid?" she finally said.

"Vander has his reasons Sevika. He might not be the pioneer you remember, but he wants to fight just as much as all of you do."

Sevika looked down at the ground, shaking her head.

"You're too young to recall that time, y/n. You're a good kid with good intentions, but Vander will get us nowhere," she sighed, patting me on the shoulder, "It's time for me to move on, and hopefully you will too."

Again, someone was leaving me. Sevika strode off into the distance, unfazed.

The door creaked as I trudged back into The Last Drop, mumbling a greeting at the two glum older men and continuing on into the back, going down the crooked stairs. Everyone glanced up as I entered the room and threw myself down onto the sofa.