Chapter 18: A Stolen Gem

I took a deep breath, trying to fight away my already growing anxiety.

"She's going to find out eventually," I finally concluded.

"Yes, it may be inevitable y/n," sighed Silco, resting his head in his hand, "I can't let it happen, I can't lose her."

His good eye flashed in shock at his own statement, seemingly not having expected to say it out loud

"Forget I said that," he muttered.

Somehow, I could resonate with this man, the one who I had seen as a heartless monster time and time again. We were both holding secrets from the ones we loved, somewhat selfishly maybe, but also to protect them. I took another sip of my drink, considering his confession.

"She'll understand eventually, even if it takes time."

With that, I stood up to leave, my chair screeching beneath me as I approached the exit. My hand met the cool metal handle of the door.

"Continue with our agreement y/n, I believe she is close to developing a weapon. Keep her immersed in her work so she is distracted from all of this."

Turning around to look at the crimelord I nodded firmly. The door shut behind me as I strode out into the hall. Immediately I was met with clamour and commotion; various goons preparing to leave. They must be after Caitlyn and Vi. That thought caused my heart to pound. Seeing a still badly bruised Sevika among them I grabbed her by the uninjured arm.

"What are you doing kid?" she hissed.

"Your arm, let me fix it," I insisted.

Although she shook her head in frustration she went along with me, the floorboards groaning beneath our feet as we hurried down the hallway. I flung open a door and found a store room, this would have to do. Assortments of canned food lined the shelves on either side, a small table and chair leaning against the wall straight ahead of us. Sevika grunted as she slumped down onto the seat, holding her mechanical arm out. As I began to examine the damage, an odd panic filled me as I felt my side for the usual presence of my tool kit. It was gone. It almost made me feel vulnerable, exposed.  My talents were nothing without tools to aid me, I must have lost my kit during the explosion. Sevika sighed.

"There's a toolbox on that shelf over there," she grumbled, pointing towards it.

I grabbed the box, taking out the tools and examining them. They would have to do. As I set to work on the arm, Sevika peered down. As much as she wouldn't admit it, she was also fascinated by mechanics. Her own modifications had been added to her prosthetic arm over the years, now it was ideal for her and a great weapon. I wasn't sure if I agreed with the shimmer energy supply, but again that was her own decision. She slammed down vials of the shimmer from her pocket to refill it. The bright purple liquid almost made me shudder, it had ruined the lives of so many. They had been manipulated by the promise of the enhancement of their abilities, to feel more stronger and powerful than they had ever felt. Ignoring the nauseating feeling, I engrossed myself in my work. Sevika helped me occasionally, knowing the engineering behind it better than myself. Finally it was mended, as good as new.

"Thanks kid, I'll be on my way to find that girl," she announced, rising from her chair and inspecting the arm as it's mechanisms clunked away.

The girl was clearly Vi. She was someone that I loved and trusted, and although I had only known Caitlyn for a short period of time, I found myself also beginning to care for her. The thought of anything bad happening to them made my blood boil in rage. With this in mind though, I still didn't feel any sense of betrayal regarding Sevika. She had her reasons, Vander had let her down. Seeking vengeance on his daughter seemed like a selfish act, but this was her job. She worked for Silco now, she would undoubtedly follow his orders.