Chapter 9: A Guilty Conscience

"I'm listening."

Silco leaned forward on his desk.

"Good," he replied, "Now sit down."

The chair screeched as I pulled it forward and took my seat, sitting uncomfortably as I felt my every move under his constant scrutiny.

"I will be straightforward," he continued, "I've heard that you don't have the strongest alliances, you're quite the solitary figure."

That was something I couldn't deny, but the very thought that this man of all people knew my views caused an impending sense of doom. I tried to recollect myself, feeling dizzy.

"I'll work for anyone for a fair price, I bear no commitment to any side, how else would I earn a fair wage?"

"You say that it's simply for the money y/n, but perhaps you are just a coward," he remarked, "You aren't prepared to provoke anyone, you won't stand for any cause."

I stared down at the ground, feeling the anger brewing in my veins. Glowering, I met his apathetic gaze yet again, I wouldn't let him get to me. This is what he wanted; intimidation.

"Or maybe I just care about the people down here and want to help them, no matter their stance," I muttered frustratingly.

"If you joined our cause, you could do great things. Your talents are unmatched, I must say," he commented.

His compliment had taken me aback, but I soon became aware that this was just another attempt at manipulation. My anger only grew.

"I'm not joining anyone's cause, I'm unbiased and I intend to stay that way," I spat.

"Bold of you to speak to me in that manner, child," drawled Silco, "You are foolish thinking that neutrality will get you anywhere in life."

"I'm not a child anymore, not after you tore my life apart," I fumed, throwing my chair to the side and turning around to leave, "And it's worked out for me just fine so far."

The crime lord sighed behind me as I made my way to the door, clearly unamused at my sudden outburst.

"I showed you mercy that day," he hissed, "Yet you fail to see it."

I craned my head back to look back at him, smirking bitterly.

"Mercy? By not slitting my throat?" I scoffed, "Everyone I loved died because of you, you should be thankful I even still do jobs for you."

"I think you'll find that that was Jinx's doing, y/n" he replied, his voice softening at that name.

Jinx. Powder's new name. Not a day went by where her screams of agony didn't haunt my psyche. I had left her alone that dreadful night, I couldn't help but feel that I had had a part in creating her new personality of sorts. The thought was harrowing. At her mention, I whipped around to face Silco yet again.

"How is she?" I asked, dropping any grudges I held in desperate search of information.

"She is fine, in fact she's the reason I called you in. Before your little tantrum interrupted us," Silco continued, "Although she's prospering in her work, she could do with your expertise."

This was it, my opportunity to help her after years of immense guilt. Of course I had seen her before, after doing the odd job for Silco of fixing up machinery before missions, but still so much was left unsaid between us. It struck me that her "work" could only mean one thing; bombs and guns.

"Deal, although I'm not that experienced when it comes to weapons," I concluded, scratching my head.

"That is that settled then, I will pay you later. Sevika will show you to her," Silco replied, putting out his cigar in a graffitied ashtray.