𝟖| 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝

CHAPTER EIGHT:

HEALING HIS HAND

THE NIGHT SKY was out, replacing the original beautiful blue sky

THE NIGHT SKY was out, replacing the original beautiful blue sky. Night time was here and the sound of fire crackling in the woods could be heard. The birds were asleep and the crickets were out, chirping in the tall grass around the trio. Y/n's long h/c hair could be seen around, the said girl sitting on a log beside Eugene. On the other side, Rapunzel could be seen laying on the ground, her green eyes closed shut as she was sound asleep, Pascal beside her head, watching the other two.

Eugene had his eyebrows raised upwards, his right hand on his knee as he tapped his fingers against his clothed covered leg. His left hand was in Y/n's, watching as she focused on his hand, wrapping her hair around it. Her e/c eyes only seemed to be focused on that, and nothing else. He had gotten over his shock about hers and Rapunzel's hair glowing earlier, but it was still deep inside of him.

"So, you're being strangely cryptic as you wrap your magic hair around my injured hand." Eugene speaks up before letting out a grunt.

Y/n winces. "Sorry. Just don't freak out."

Curiously, he glances between his hand that was wrapped around her hair before looking back into her e/c orbs, brown eyes meeting e/c ones. Y/n lets out a sigh before closing her eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Flower, gleam and glow.
Let your power shine.
Make the clock reverse,
Bring back what once was mine."

Eugene jumps just a bit, but doesn't move his hand as he glances at her hair that was glowing all around. His brown eyes cast to Pascal for a second who held a smug smile, motioning to his hand as if telling the brunette to look at his own which he does, seeing the hair around it glowing.

"Heal what has been hurt.
Change the fates design.
Save what has been lost,
Bring back what once was mine.
What once was mine."

When she stopped singing, her hair stopped glowing and her e/c eyes fluttered open as she patiently waited for his reaction. Holding up his hand, Eugene unwraps the hair from his hand, a gasp escaping him and his eyes widening upon seeing the cut that had been on the palm of his hand wasn't there anymore. Y/n tensed when she saw he was about ready to scream at the sight.

"Please don't freak out!" Y/n pleads, stopping him before he could.

Eugene let out strangled noises. "I'm not freaking out. Are you freaking out? I'm just interested in your hair and the magical qualities it possesses. How long has it been doing that exactly? And when were you gonna tell me?"

Y/n shrugs. "Forever, I guess. And you didn't tell me about your real name, so why should I have told you about this. My parents told me about it when I was a child. They said one time when I was a baby, someone tried to cut it. They wanted it to take it for themselves."

Eugene watches as she reaches over and moves some of her hair to the side, revealing a strand of her hair that was brown and it was a lot shorter than the rest of her hair.

"But once it's cut, it turns brown and loses it's power. After they told me that, I never wanted to cut it. I was fascinated by it. My parents didn't let me go out much growing up. I guess they were scared that the same person from before would try to cut my hair again. I got tired of hiding behind the walls of my home, and I..." Y/n explains, stopping herself with a sigh, a frown on her face.

"...you felt trapped." Eugene finishes, seeming to understand what she was gonna say. "You wanted out." In response, Y/n nods a bit. "A bit after we met, you told me that you wanted to explore the world. Do things you could never do before. Is that why? Because you were trapped behind walls?"

His only response was a hum and a nod from the girl as she sighs, running her fingers through her long hair. Taking a deep breath in and then out, she side-eyes him with a tiny smirk, wanting to get some answers from his real name.

"So, Eugene Fitzherbert, huh?" Y/n reminds.

"Ah, yeah. Well... I'll spare you the sob story of poor orphan Eugene Fitzherbert. It's a little bit of a downer." Eugene informs before she scoots closer, resting her face in her hands. "There was this book I used to read every night to tell the younger kids. The Tales of Flynnagan Rider. Swashbuckling rogue, richest man alive, not bad with the ladies either. Not that he'd ever brag about it, of course."

Y/n chuckles. "Was he a thief, too?"

"Well, no. Actually, he had enough money to do anything that he wanted to do. He could go anywhere that he wanted to go. And for a kid with nothing, I don't know... Just seemed like the better option." Eugene explains. "You can't tell anyone about this, okay? It could ruin my whole reputation."

"We wouldn't want that. But you can't tell anyone what I told you." Y/n replies.

"Well, we wouldn't want that." Eugene repeats her previous words. "A fake reputation is all a person has."

Both chuckle at his words before they were staring into each others eyes, smiles on their faces. Both found themselves leaning in before Y/n cleared her throat, pulling away just a bit, not noticing the frown on his face.

"I-I should get some more firewood." Y/n stammers out, standing up and beginning to walk off.

Eugene shoots up. "I'll come with you. Not safe out in the woods at night."

He smiles upon seeing her nod in reply, neither of them noticing that the blonde was slowly waking up from her spot on the ground. For a couple minutes, firewood laid in their arms as they started walking back to where Rapunzel and Pascal were at. More firewood was in Eugene's arms as he didn't want her to carry so much.

"You know, for the record, I like Eugene Fitzherbert much better than Flynn Rider." Y/n admits.

Eugene smiles. "Well, you'd be the first. But thank you."

It's silent again as they continue walking back to their small camp, hoping Rapunzel wasn't injured or anything for the few minutes they were gone. As they got closer, Y/n could see the fire was slowly going down, which meant they needed to put more logs inside.

"So, can I ask you something?" Eugene questions, receiving a nod. "Is there any chance that I'm going to get super strength in my hand? Because I'm not gonna lie. That would be stupendous."

As he rambled a bit, they stopped in their small camp. Y/n held up her hand, motioning for him to stop talking as her e/c eyes landed on Rapunzel. The blonde was now awake, standing up with her back facing the two.

"Rapunzel? You okay?" Y/n asks.

Rapunzel jumps, turning around. "Oh! Sorry, yes. Woke up and just lost in my thoughts, I guess."

"Okay, but here's the thing, superhuman good looks, I've always had them. Born with it. But superhuman strength. Can you imagine the possibilities of this?" Eugene continues.

However, Y/n wasn't paying attention as her e/c eyes narrowed a bit on the girl in front of her. The blonde didn't notice as she glanced over her shoulder at a small tree trunk. Neither of the two thieves knew about the curious pair of eyes that watched them, gaze lingering on Y/n's hair.

Just like Rapunzel's hair.

Two was better than one.