𝟏𝟎| 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐬

CHAPTER TEN:

THE LANTERNS

NIGHT WAS SLOWLY coming, the day leaving and the evening arriving like it did everyday and night that passed

NIGHT WAS SLOWLY coming, the day leaving and the evening arriving like it did everyday and night that passed. The large kingdom reflected on the dark waters as one single boat could be seen out, Eugene and Y/n inside. A few large sailboats could be seen closer to the kingdom, but not as small as the one they were in. Eugene continued rowing the boat before he soon stopped it sideways, both facing the kingdom.

With sad eyes, Y/n stared up at the castle ahead of her. The lights in the houses of the town below reflected off the water like the entire kingdom did. Y/n and Eugene had their arms and elbows rested on the rim of the boat, staring ahead of them. Y/n could only hope that Rapunzel was okay with Pascal and Maximus. Hearing a sigh leaving her mouth, Eugene looks over at her, a concerned look on his face.

"You okay?" Eugene asks.

Y/n nods a little. "Yeah, it's just... Getting a bit of Deja-vu or something right now."

"Really?" Eugene questions, getting a nod. "Why?"

"Growing up, the closest I got outside was just outside the doors of my home. My parents would always let me go right outside of the house to watch the lanterns. That only ever happened a few times. Usually, I was only able to watch them from the window. They always showed up on my birthday, like today." Y/n explains.

Eugene's brows go up in surprise. She never told him her birthday. "Today's your birthday?"

"Yeah, today." Y/n replies, nodding for confirmation.

Eugene places his hand on hers. "Happy birthday."

In reply, she gives him a thankful smile. After a few minutes, Y/n was softly grabbing the flower petals that had been in her hair on the water, grabbing more as they laid on the palm of his hand. Seeing a small light reflecting on the water, Y/n looks up, eyes widening upon seeing two lanterns floating into the sky, no doubt from her parents for her and her lost sister.

Y/N:

"All those days,
Watching from the windows.
All those years, outside looking in."

Y/n stands up as best as she could on the boat, moving to the end, stumbling as the boat moved a bit. She hadn't seen these lanterns in years and she was excited. She could only think that Rapunzel was the same back on the docks. Eugene falls to his back from where he sat on the boat, sitting up to see she was staring at the lanterns with wide eyes.

"All that time,
Never even knowing
Just how blind I've been."

Following the two lonely lanterns, many lanterns started floating up in the sky behind them, clearly being the civilians that were around the castle.