28- Court

Hailey's P.O.V.

Annie hugged me tight. "I told myself I would never go to the States again. I will though, to see you. Not only have you become our friend but you're like a sister to me. Please keep in touch when you get settled in because we want to come visit you."

"I will and I'll come visit you guys too. I'd actually like to see this place and not have to hide. Hopefully I'll be able to introduce you guys to Drake."

"We would really like that."

I gave Kevin a hug next, "Good luck and remember... do what your heart tells you is right. Aaron will keep you safe no matter what."

Pulling away, he kissed the side of my cheek. "Thank you for everything, Kevin."

"We'll always be here for you. Our kids adore you and so do we. This isn't goodbye, Hailey."

Next was Michael and Elisha. They both pulled me into a big hug. "We love, sweetheart. Be safe."

"I will and I love you guys too. Thank you for opening up your house to me. I will forever be grateful to all of you."

Zoe and Connor came running over, crying as they both hugged me tight. "I'm going to miss you guys so much. Be good and I promise I'll come back."

"I'm going to miss you, Auntie Hailey." Connor cried into my shoulder.

"Me too." Zoe cried.

"When I get a phone, we'll video chat all of the time. I want pictures and drawings and I want to hear all about school, okay?"

They both nodded.

After one last hug they let me go and went back to their parents.

I leaned down, kissing Cody on top of his head while petting his side before walking to the SUV. Even saying goodbye to the dog was fucking hard, especially when he tried following me. This is why I left in the middle of the night at the cabin. Goodbyes are so hard.

I waved to everyone one last time before shutting the door.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Aaron asked as he scooted over to me.

"Yes. Please, let's just go."

He put his arm around me. I leaned into his side and cried as we drove off.

During the plane ride back to the States; Aaron, Justin and Amy told me what to expect during the trial and the questions I'd most likely be asked. Aaron even tried turning the murder back at me, coaching me on staying calm and never getting flustered. It would make it easier for Carlos to look not guilty and show I was the one lying.

*****

THE TRAIL

I hardly slept last night. I kept tossing and turning, thinking about everything in my head.

Aaron got me to the place I would be staying before the trial, safely. When he said he'd protect me, he wasn't lying. Aaron brought in the whole damn mafia including his son-in-law, Derek.

A few of Derek's men would be joining me in court today, along with armed guards and swat officers the FBI was setting me up with.

Carlos' men weren't allowed to be near a curtain radius of the courthouse but I knew that wouldn't truly stop them.

"Here, put this bulletproof vest on." Amy instructed.

"Tell me how this is going to help if they shoot me in the head?"

"Well let's hope they don't." She said as she draped it over me, so it covered both the front and the back. "I actually trust Aaron, you'll be okay."