Chapter 1

December 1985

*Leandro's POV*

I just got back from the grocery because I bought some items that I need to prepare for Leandra's 4th birthday. Before entering the door, I saw a bunch of envelopes stashed on our mail box. I grabbed it and finally went inside.

"Daddy!" Leandra shouted and ran towards me, hugging my leg.

"Hi Baby, did you miss me?"

"Yes!"

Mama Linda was behind Leandra and saw that I have 2 large paperbags of groceries. Mama took them off my hands and I quickly carried Leandra and kissed her. I made my way through the living room and sat down on the couch with my daughter. I decided to look through these envelopes I saw on the mail box. Some of these are bills, letters to Mama and Papa and then suddenly, I saw a letter addressed to me. In a neat handwritting I saw the sender on the upper righthand corner,
"Irene Araneta". I quickly ripped the envelope open and read the letter.

My Dear Leo,

I hope this letter finds you well. I know its been 2 years since we parted ways. I apologize for what happened between us. Believe me when I say I did not want this to happen. But you did it, you sacrificed your love for the sake of my father, and for my well being. No words can describe how truly grateful I am that you came into my life. Thank you for loving and caring for me all these years.

You probably heard by now that the situation here in our country is getting critical and a possible exile will be done to protect our family. I will soon be based in San Francisco with Greggy and our 2 sons, Alfonso and Luis.

I  hope for the day that we will see each other again. Until then, I hope you can allow me to re-build the bridge that connects me to our daughter. I have wrriten a separate letter for her. Have her read it when the right time comes.

Take care Leo. We are going to be alright.

All my love,
Rina

I smiled when I read the whole thing. Despite what happened, I still found it in my heart to forgive and accept everything. It's true when they say that when you love someone, it never goes away. And I'll admit, I never stopped loving and caring for her all these years. Right next to the letter I read was the letter for Leandra. I thought that it is not yet the right time for Leandra to see this so I pulled out the box where I used to put all of our photos and placed the envelopes inside.

Papa Andrew comes out from the kitchen, holding a birthday cake. Mama Linda and I started singing in front of Leandra.

"Happy Birthday my baby, make a wish!"

Leandra closed her eyes and blew the candles. How time flies, my daughter is now 4 years old. Next year, she'll be starting school and I can't wait for her to learn and explore. But as we celebrate her birthday, I hope she knows how much we love her. Even her mom. She may be far but I know she will always love her first born.