Chapter 8

September 1986

*Leandro's POV*

Today is Irene's birthday. This is also the first time Leandra will be celebrating it with her mommy. She thought about making her a card and give it to her after school. I wasn't able to see her this morning when I dropped her off but it didn't matter since she's the one who gets Leandra by lunch time. I focused on work throughout the day, until I received a call on my desk around late afternoon.

"Is this Mr. Silayan?" A lady spoke with me on the phone.

"Yes, who is this please?"

"This is Teacher Maggie from The Mission Prepatory school. We're just getting worried that your daughter Leandra hasn't been picked up yet."

"I see. I'll be right there."

I hung up and rushed out of the building. When I got to the school, I saw my daughter sitting down on the stairs.

"Leandra!" I shouted and I saw my daughter running in tears.

"Daddy, where's mommy?" She hugged me tight and cried on my shoulders.

"It's okay baby, I'm here. Daddy's got you."

I decided to take her back in my office while I pacify her emotions. What happened Rina? Why did you leave our daughter alone? Where are you? I thought.

*Irene's POV*

I was getting ready to leave, when I heard a knock on my door. It was Greggy who got back from Spain.

"I'm home hon!" Greggy said with his arms stretched out.

I was surprised for a second until I gave him a hug and let him inside.

"How was your trip hon?" I asked as I was getting his luggages inside.

"It was okay. Would've been better if you, Alfonso and Luis were there." He kissed me.

"Which reminds me, I have a surprise for you." He added and pulled out an envelope from his back pocket.

He handed it to me and inside were 4 plane tickets to Hawaii.

"Surprise! We're going to Hawaii to see your parents tonight."

My emotions were all mixed up. I'm happy that I get to see my parents for my birthday but at the same time, I'm worried about Leandra at school. I should be picking her up right now.

"What's wrong hon? Don't you like it?" Greggy can't seem to pin point my reaction.

"Yes I do, I love it." I responded right away.

He kissed my forehead and told me to start packing right away. Just when me and Leandra are starting to build our bridge, I'm gonna leave her again. I'm sorry my baby, I thought.