Chapter 18

That night, Leandra dreamt of her dad. She went back to the broken bridge and heard Leandro shouting her name from the bottom.

"Leandra?"

"Daddy?"

"Oh Leandra, it's so nice to hear your voice sweetie. I'm glad you made it!"

"But daddy where are you?"

"Wherever you go I am always with you baby."

"I miss you Daddy." Leandra starts to cry.

"I miss you and your mom too. Isn't she beautiful?"

"H-how did you know I've seen her dad?"

"Like I said baby, wherever you go... I am always with you."

"But daddy I want you to come back..."

"I love you always my precious star but I think It's about time you be with your mom. That's why she made this bridge for you."

"But I want to be with you Daddy... Daddy?"

"Love her like I did Leandra... promise Daddy?" Leandro's voice starts to fade.

"Daddy? Daddy come back!"

"DADDY!" Leandra screamed as she woke up from her dream.

Irene and Greggy rushed inside her room and turned on all of the lights. Irene quickly hugged her daughter and pacified her emotions, thinking that she had a nightmare.

"Leandra, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I saw daddy... I saw daddy..."

"You saw your dad where?"

"I saw him in my dreams."

"Maybe its better if we give Leandro a call first thing in the morning." Greggy suggested.

"No... you can't... no"

"What do you mean you can't baby?" Irene asked.

"Daddy's gone..."

Irene and Greggy looked at each other in shock.

"Your dad is dead?"

"What happened anak?"

Leandra composed her emotions upon telling the whole story of her fathers untimely death and the reason behind why she is here in the Philippines. Irene could not stop crying the moment she heard her first love and the father of her child passed away unexpectedly. Death is such an inevitable moment in one's life. Yet the way you make the most out of it is what really matters at the end. And Leandro did. From a hardworking enginner, to a devoted father. He may not have been triumphant in being Irene's husband but she was his first and last love. Or perhaps his only love.

*Greggy's POV*

I looked back on the day that I called up Leandro. I was still in a state of shock when she told me that Leandro passed away. I could not help but sob on the thought that his precious daughter is grieving and longing for him. While I beam with pride on my two sons, I know in my heart that I too can be a father figure to the first born child of my wife.

As the sun was about to rise, I looked out from the veranda and closed my eyes.

"Don't worry Leandro, I will love her life my own flesh and blood. She'll be safe here." I whispered into the air. I felt a breeze fly right through my face. I know somewhere along the line... he heard me.

I tried to peek through Leandra's room but she was not in bed. I opened further and I saw her standing on the veranda too. I walked closely to her.

"Your father was a great man." I said.

She looked at me, wanting to hear more of what I'm going to say.

"He protected you all these years to be the person that you are today. But I know he had to sacrifice his love to your mother. And I- I'm sorry if I went in the way... Leandra."

"No Tito... I never saw you as an enemy." Leandra said.

"You and dad loved mom through the greatest depths. And I'm grateful that me, Alfonso and Luis were the outcome of the greatest love story of our mother's life." Leandra continued.

I pulled her closely for a hug. Leandra spoke with such wisdom and kindness. She is truly her mother's daughter.

"Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life Leandra."

"Thank you for letting me in your heart... Daddy Greggy."

I felt like I was on cloud nine when I heard her say that. From that day, I made a vow to love and protect Leandro's daughter, who I now consider as my daughter.