Chapter 9

September 1986, the Marcos-Araneta family flew to Hawaii to celebrate Irene's birthday with the rest of the Marcos'es. What started off as a birthday getaway, turned into an extended stay due to Daddy Ferdie's health condition getting worst.

1987

*Leandro's POV*

I woke up in the middle of the night because Leandra started crying. She must've had a bad dream. I heard her asking for her Mommy. Mama Linda stepped in and pacified her. Ever since Irene unexpectedly left, I asked Mama Linda if she can look after Leandra while I'm working. What did you do to our daughter Rina? You left a void in our daughters heart.

I fell back asleep and woke up a few hours later. While Mama Linda was preparing breakfast, I turned on the TV and saw Irene and her family being interviewed in Honolulu Hawaii regarding the ex presidents health condition. I couldn't stop staring at her, at Greggy and their kids. I didn't notice that I was tearing up and that Mama Linda was observing me.

"Did you know that she was there all along? Mama Linda asked.

I shook my head and wiped the tears off my face.

"I understand how you feel anak. That should be you right next to her."

"You know mama, I've spent the last few months accepting the fact that she's no longer mine. But you know what pains me the most? Is the fact that my daughter can't even tell the whole world that her mother is Irene Marcos Araneta."

Mama Linda started crying.

"It pains me that Leandra wakes up and goes to bed without her around. As she grow's up, she wonders why she can't see her today, why she can't kiss her good night or even read her a bedtime story. If were only talking about Irene here then yes, I still love her all these years and I will always take a bullet for her. But I don't want Leandra to live with the pain that I'm going through. Never."

Mama Linda comforted me when I started breaking down. Suddenly, I heard Leandra coming down the stairs, I turned off the TV and cuddled my daughter.

"Good morning Daddy." Leandra said in a sleepy voice.

"Good morning my love. Had a rough night?"

Leandra nodded "I miss mommy that's why I cried."

I kissed her forehead.

"It's okay baby, Daddy and Mama Linda are here. We will always be here to love and take care of you. Remember that okay?"

She nodded and placed her head on my shoulder.

"I promise, no one will ever hurt you anymore my precious Leandra." I whispered to her ear.