Chapter 3

March 1986

*Irene's POV*

It's been a month after our entire family were put on a plane to be sent off to the US. It was a nightmare that we are still trying to move on. I remember we were holding one another, praying that we will make it out alive, without causing harm to our children. I wondered how terrible it will be if Leandra was there to witness it. From being a complete family, we are now based in different parts of the world. In Hawaii, in Morocco and here in San Francisco. Greggy managed to bring his work overseas, while I try to juggle my role as a daughter, as a wife and as a mother. After Greggy left for work, I decided to finally call Leandro in Springfield.

"Silayan Residence." A lady responded. I assumed that it was Mama Linda.

"Mama Linda?" I replied.

"Irene?" It was her and it looks like she remembered me from my voice.

"How are you? Are you safe? Where are you now?"

"I'm doing fine Mama. I'm living in San Francisco now."

"That's good to know. I always pray for your safety, we all do here."

"Thank you Mama. Is Leandro there?"

"Yes. Let me pass the phone to him."

A few seconds later, I finally heard his voice. The voice that I have not heard for 2 years.

"Hi Rina." Leandro said.

"Hi Leo." I replied.

"So I guess you're in San Francisco now?"

"Yes."

"Well I'm glad you're safe now. It's all over the news."

"Yes well I bet it was watched by millions of viewers from around the world. Lovely to see a family being kicked out of their own country." I responded with a sarcastic tone.

"Rina... I'm sorry."

"No, it's not your fault Leo. I guess I'm still trying to process this whole thing out."

"The important thing here is that, you and your family are safe now. Think about your children."

"Yeah... I guess your right."

There was a few seconds of silence.

"So... uhm... what made you decide to call Rina?"

"I was thinking that if we could meet up... perhaps?"

Another few seconds of silence.

"Oh well... I wouldn't mind... yeah sure... but wait, what about Greggy and your kids?

"I'll handle it, don't worry. If you can, please bring my precious baby with me."

"No problem Rina, I'll bring her."

"Thank you. So maybe... this April we can see each other?"

"Yeah sure, I can just drive up there."

"Alright, thanks bye."

"Bye."

That was it, I finally heard him after 2 years. And now, we are about to see each other again.