Chapter 20

To others, it would be a stupid decision, but Izuku knew that if he was getting out of here, then Sumiko was coming too. She deserved it more than he did.

Izuku memorized the hallways. Their rooms had to be behind a brown door, if he remembered correctly. If he didn't, they'd get him again and Sumiko would still be stuck here.

Thanks to these people, he hated doors. If he saw another one, he was going to flip.

After weaving in and out of the hallways, Izuku finally found a different door, the color of concrete. But when he felt it, his palm met cold metal, probably steel.

Izuku pushed the door opened quietly, peeking out from the crack.

And promptly darted back the way he came.

Why the fuck were the police here? 

He couldn't stay here. He had to go before they found him.

You can't leave without Sumiko! You owe it to her. 

Fuck, the voices in his head were right, as usual. He'd have to try and slip past them, avoid them somehow. 

"Wasn't he supposed to be here?" A voice boomed out, and Izuku jumped. It had been so quiet. And who else would that voice belong to but All Might.

The door he was hiding behind started opening. Izuku peered around the corner and almost met eyes with a man in a trench coat. A detective, or something.

Nope. This was impossible. He was going to get caught and sent back to his mother, and continue his aimless life of trying and failing to die. Izuku could hear the person opening and closing doors, and yelling out orders softly.

 "There's a woman in here. She's got some pretty bad injuries, but nothing the doctors can't patch up with some healing quirks. Put her on a stretcher." He heard the man say. 

Was that Sumiko? 

She was hurt.

No. 

They got to her. 

They'll take care of her. You wouldn't be able to, even if you tried to.

Shut up.

Izuku heard the man's voice getting closer. If he stayed any longer, he was a goner. Even if they didn't send him back to his mother, then he'd be thrown into the hellish clutches of foster care.

Run. You have to go. They'll come after you. They'll hurt you.

Sumiko will be fine with them. They won't hurt her, she has a quirk. Run.

Izuku fled. His feet trod lightly on the white cement, barely making a sound. His ears caught the man murmuring a quiet, "I hear something."

He rummaged through his pocket and pulled out a syringe, chucking into the corridor opposite of him. It fell with a loud thud, and Izuku ducked behind his corner. 

He heard the man shuffle into that direction. He could almost see him reaching for the plastic.

Izuku bolted to the exit door.

--------------------------------------------------

There was a set of pipes behind the building, and Izuku scaled them quietly. He almost slipped off a couple of times, but it wasn't hard to regain his footing. Soon enough, he was at the top of the warehouse. If he wanted to leave, he'd have to leave by crossing the rooftops. 

Next to a pile of sacks was a ladder. Convenient.

Izuku slid the ladder across to the other rooftop, and carefully held on to the rungs. He was thankful for his lighter-than-average weight, since if he'd been any heavier, the wood might have crumbled. Holding on to his first-aid kit, he crawled his way to the ledge.

No one saw him, thank god.

He managed to get across to the other warehouse, and carefully dragged the ladder back. Placing on the other side of the warehouse, Izuku let it fall with a soft thud and descended slowly. He might have gotten some scrapes and bruises, but he didn't care.

He was out. 

Why did the air smell so nice?

Izuku patted his pockets. Everything was still inside. His hand was still grasping the plastic box. All that was left was to run.

But run where? Izuku couldn't go home.

Could he?

--------------------------------------------------

Izuku quietly slid his bedroom window open. It was great to know that it was still open. His feet landed on the wooden floorboards softly.

Where was the medical kit again?

He rummaged through all his drawers and decided to bundle his items into his yellow backpack. Izuku grabbed his second kit, his notebooks, his stationery, some of his bedding, and all his clothes. It wasn't even a problem, considering the fact that his closet was practically empty and the bedding was thin. It didn't even take up much space in his bag. He considered taking his laptop, but that would be too obvious. Not that he needed it, anyways. Besides, where would he even charge it?

Izuku was shoving his last shirt in when he noticed something in the corner of his room. 

It was a small shrine.

He edged closer, almost afraid of it. It had his picture, a small bouquet of flowers, and an incense pot with two sticks of incense. 

Did Mom...make this?

No. That was impossible. She would never do something like this. Mom stated clearly before that she hated him with her whole heart.

Izuku stared at the small structure in front of him. What shocked him was the fact that the flowers and the incense were still fresh. Next to the shrine laid a sheet of paper on the floor. He opened it and attempted to read it, before opting to just shove it in the bag for later since it was too dark. That reminded him to take his flashlight and some spare batteries. He would need it.

It had been two years since Izuku last saw his room, and it would be the last time he saw it.

He's FINALLY out. Progress TwT
Now this story can finally continue :)