Chapter 1

The first thing you felt was the taste of dust in your mouth. It was familiar yet different from what you were used to. Somehow... Cleaner? It didn't itch the back of your throat like it usually did at your home. You swallowed - or tried to at least - but your mouth was too dry and you had to cough.

You pushed yourself up, into a half sitting position, and opened your eyes. You weren't expecting much light to struck your pupils, you saw it already through your eyelids that you were in a dark premise. And you were right. A badly lit room with concrete floorings and walls greeted you as you looked around. Along the walls metal piping ran and the air was sort of humid, you felt it on your skin.

You remembered why you were there... How you got there... Your plan didn't work...

From the corner of your eyes, you could see someone standing up. He probably had been sitting there for a while now, thinking about your fate. But you didn't care. They could do anything to you at this point. You had already lost everything...

You saw him stepping closer to you and now you could see - he was the leader of the group. You recognized his mask easily. You looked away from him as you pulled yourself against the wall and pinned your eyes onto a crack, running in the concrete near you.

"Why were you at the warehouse?" he asked when he got closer to you. His voice was deep and sort of mechanical. You were sure he used some kind of voice distorting device under his mask, there was no way it was his natural tone. But to his question you didn't reply. Only blinked as you thought about your failure. How easy it could have been if they didn't show up...

You saw him drop his head for a second - in his annoyance probably - but then he raised it back up and asked another question: "What did you need the shimmer for?"

To rip Silco apart... To avenge your family... To calm your soul... To do something finally...

But you didn't say these words out loud. You turned your head towards the crack even more as you tried to fight your tears back. Crying now would make you look even more pathetic. You didn't know who these people were but the last thing wanted was to show how really weak you felt. If they wanted to kill you, fine. But you'd keep your head high until your last moments. You got your pride after your dad...

The man now crouched down right in front of you - he was so close, the air he dragged with himself as he moved tickled your face. Now you could hear on his tone that he was losing his temper as he asked his next question.

"Are you one of Silco's men?" he asked and you finally looked at him. You felt your chest tighten at the loud echo of the name you loathed from your core and your breathing fastened. Hate burned up your insides again and in a blink of a time, you jumped to hit the leader in the face with all your might. And this time your hit landed...

He fell back and you got on top of him punching his chest with both of your hands clenched into a fist. You closed your eyes in your rage and felt his fingers locking onto your wrists. He was damn strong. Much stronger than you, but you still didn't want to give up. You struggled with all your might to free yourself and when you finally opened your eyes you saw that you had managed to knock his mask off - probably when you punched him the first time.

He was young. Seemed to be around your age but you were only at the end of your teen years as well. You expected him to be more mature - after all he was a leader of a whole group - and this caught you off guard. He had dark skin and deep brown eyes - their colors reminded you of something from your past memories you couldn't quite grasp what was just yet... His hair was in perfect contrast with his skin as it was so blonde it almost seemed white. There was also a shape, painted throughout his nose and forehead, that reminded you of an hourglass.

"Stop!" He grunted under you and you could hear his real voice now being a bit higher than before, under the mask.

You could see the annoyance in his eyes that looked straight back into yours but he didn't seem to be... to be evil? At all. On the contrary - his facial features - under the anger - were nice and soft - not someone's who you could ever imagine wanting to really hurt you.

Your punches slowly weakened and soon, you collapsed to the ground next to him. He let your wrists go as well - they hurt from the force of his clench but you knew they'd heal soon anyway. You felt your anger leave your body again - at least towards this man. No, he was rather just a boy... The way his eyes shone made you feel strange - you just didn't want to fight him anymore.

So, you silently pulled yourself back to the wall and your eyes got pinned to the same crack again. You were still breathing heavily because of your fight and you were surprised again, how it didn't irritate neither your lungs nor your nose or throat. You absolutely had no idea where you could be. You grew up in the lowest, darkest corner of Zaun and you had never left your home to visit any other parts. Down there the air was toxic and unpleasant to breath in, even for someone like you, who's lungs were absolutely used to the harshness.

Many people couldn't make it past their 30s' down there; the air slowly poisoned them. You and your family were only lucky because of your talent... The talent because of what you had to be restrained and hidden all your life...

From the corner of your eyes, you saw him move by your side to sit down as well. He pulled his knees up slightly and rested his elbows on them. In his left he held his mask but with his right, he was massaging his jaw.

"Your right hook is strong..." he said but you still didn't respond, why would you want to talk to him anyway... You heard him sigh by your side; he was probably getting tired of you and your numbness by now. "Look..." he leaned his head against the wall. "Judged by your reaction, I guess we are on the same side. We are all fighting against Silco here..." he said and your head finally jerked up to look at him.