Chapter 16

"Y/N..." You heard Ekko's gentle yet ever so serious voice as his hug tightened around you. "You said you wouldn't do anything stupid while I'm away..." His chin rested on the top of your head now. "You're covered in cuts and bruises..." he said and you felt his finger slide over the wound on your neck. You heard on his voice that he was worried as he asked you in a low voice:

"Tell me about your brother."

"He was different..." you said after a while. It felt hard to think back of the creature your brother - your idol and childhood best friend - had become. "He suffered... I know.... I could see it in his eyes" you added after you'd swallowed back your tears.

"Did he do all this to you?" Ekko let go of you to stroke your left cheek. It hurt you slightly and you remembered how you crashed yourself.

"No." you shook your head. "I fell off the hoverboard. He - I don't know if he'd wanted to hurt me. He wasn't himself... His whole body was distorted and - and reminded me of shimmer addicts." you remembered his purple skin and pinkish eyes. "But I know he'd never use shimmer!" your gaze flew to meet Ekko's. You couldn't let him believe your brother was just some addicted thug... You knew he wasn't.

"And I think he needed help..." you furrowed your brows. Even though he cut your neck and absolutely seemed like he wanted to rip you apart, when your eyes met you felt like he was asking for help. He was your brother. He knew you could heal. Maybe this monster he had somehow become remembered your talent as well... "I- I have to go back for him!" you freed yourself from Ekko's arms right away but the boy opposed.

"Wait, wait, wait slow down..." he stepped after you but he hissed up in his pain. You almost forgot about the fact that Ekko was injured. Your eyes immediately flew back to see the sources of his pain and when you saw the hole on his vest - just above his heart - you almost fainted.

"Ekko, you were shot!" you gasped and your hands immediately moved to pull the fabric away. He got your wrists into his hands, gently trying to stop you. "I'll heal you..." you wanted to state - even though you felt completely uncapable of using your powers at that moment - but he cut you off.

"You have to rest. I know that healing costs your strength..." he opposed but you just shook your head.

"No way I could rest when I know you're hurt." you looked into his eyes, more determined than ever, almost begging him, and you saw his hesitation and willpower slowly shatter.

So now, 20 minutes later, you were both in your room again but this time the boy was sat on your little bed while you were on the ground in front of him, trying to free his leg from his shoe. Ekko told you how he lent his room to a member of the Piltovian Council and your jaw dropped.

"But how did you ended up meeting him?" you asked. Both of your eyes grew as big as a pair of coasters. In just a couple of days two Piltovians ended up at the firelight base - in Zaun - without any negative intentions...

"After I managed to save myself from the explosions I couldn't really come back on my own." he said while gesturing towards his leg with his head and your chest tightened around your heart... If only you had been there with him instead of having a pleasant night here with the others; while Ekko was fighting for his life... "I hid under the bridge during the night and Heimerdinger found me in the morning. He had been sent away from the council and came to Zaun to try and help us instead. He's a genius, I could learn so much from him! Can you believe it?" Ekko finished his story with glowing eyes but then noticed you fell silent.

"What is it?" he asked gently. You saw from the corner of your eyes that he was searching your face but you couldn't look into his eyes. He was only lucky because he didn't get a fatal injury...