Chapter 4

The next morning when you woke up, you didn't open your eyes right away. You let your ears take in the sounds first - you were afraid you would be overwhelmed if you'd let everything get to you at once.

You thought about yesterday. And the day before... If it weren't for Ekko and his group you would be dead by now you were sure about that. Your plan of injecting yourself with shimmer and going in on your own to end Silco wouldn't have worked out you were sure now. You were silly for believing it could ever work in the first place...

And they could have also left you there. But instead, Ekko took you in and gave a second chance and some kind of new hope of reaching your only goal you had left in your life...

You heard the laughing and chatting coming from down below, sometimes disturbed by a mechanical noise suddenly rushing by your window, only to fade in the distance again - the hoverboards probably.

The leaves of the enormous tree were also softly rustling all around, immediately soothing your nerves and making you want to open your eyes to take another look at the wonder.

You sat up at the edge of your bed right away, placing your bare feet on the cold wooden planks of the floor and took the deepest breath. As much as you wanted to stay in your room all day, under the safety of your cover, you still stood up and stretched your numb body.

Taking a side glance at your window, you pulled on your boots, combed through your strands with your fingers and grabbed the knob of your door. You had to prepare yourself for a few seconds but in the end, you opened the door and stepped outside before you could have changed your mind.

The fresh breeze hit you like a truck again - you still had to get used to how clean the air here was. Your eyes looked around better as you stepped outside of your room, onto a wooden ring of pallets around the trunk of the tree and you saw how this whole place was hiding inside what seemed to be a huge drain. Above you, you could even see bits of the clear, blue sky through the foliage and that explained why breathing here didn't hurt.

You wondered how Ekko ended up finding this place as you stepped to the rope ladder and started climbing downwards. It seemed well hidden and due to not having open sides, also well protected. Your heart ached when you thought about how no one from your family would ever see this... But also, you felt hope now that you were part of a whole group of people that were all fighting against Silco here. Maybe, soon, you'd finally live to see his end...

"It would be faster with a hoverboard!" A kid yelled as he flew by your head. You still had a few meters to climb and you silently agreed with him. "I can teach you how to use one." He arrived by your head and you looked at him.

"Yeah, me too!" You heard another voice from down below, a little girl this time, also holding a hoverboard in her hands. The device was almost as big as her, as she stood under you, looking up to watch your struggles. More and more kids gathered under you, all promising to show you how to fly and when your feet finally touched the ground, at least 10 if not more children kept promising they could teach you better.

Having no other choice, you ended up giving yourself in to the pressure, even though the thought of flying around high speed on a device that had no handles terrified you. But if children could do it...

"Okay, so to turn it on," a girl started explaining the parts of a spare hoverboard. "You have to step here!" She said and pushed the pedal at the end with her hand. The device immediately buzzed up and smoothly hovered up above the ground.

"To pilot it, you just have to lean where you'd like to go!" A little boy added, tiptoeing above the head of the others.

"Yes! And you have to look forward! If you look down, you'll fall. Ekko taught me that!" Another little boy said proudly. Judged by the number of bruises he had on his face and scratches on his arms, you were sure he had fallen at least a thousand times.

The instructions came from every direction all around you.

"Now you try it!" they all said and pushed a hoverboard into your hands. Your mind was desperately trying to find a way of how to tell the kids you wouldn't stand up on one, even if your life depended on it, without hurting anyone's feelings when you heard a rumbling in the distance.

All the children along with everyone you could see turned to face the direction and so you followed their examples to see what was happening. Not far from you, a huge, round shaped, metal door rolled slowly to the side, revealing the dark mouth of a hidden entrance behind itself. In the middle of the somberly yawning opening, Ekko and a few other fireflies were standing and you could see that from where you were standing that something went wrong...

You slowly placed the hoverboard in your hands by the side of the tree and started walking towards them. You saw how one of the firelights were holding his face under the mask and his hand seemed to be covered in blood.

"What... what happened?" you asked Ekko as you stepped closer to them. He seemed to be both devastated and rageful as he looked at you. You felt it on his voice that he wasn't in a very talkative mood.

"We've got screwed over... We've lost a few of us..." you could see the pain in his brown eyes as he looked away, frowning. "Eden's dead as well..." he said and you felt the air stuck inside your lungs for a second.

You thought about the young girl from yesterday. How lively she was and immediately friendly towards you. How you even looked forward to talk to her again and now she was gone. And you thought about how things would have turned out differently if you were there to help with your talent... Would this always be happening to you now? The list of the names that you could have helped would get longer and longer each day?

You looked at the injured man - he had long ears, greyish skin and radiant green eyes, but half of his face was completely wrecked. He couldn't open his right eye and his jaw seemed broken as well, but under all the blood covering it, it was hard to tell. You suspected that his injuries might leave a permanent effect on him if you wouldn't help him.

You felt yourself determined as you grabbed Ekko's arm to get his attention fully to you.

"Please, could you bring your friend to a private place?" you asked. You saw the confusion evincing on the boy's face and his mouth already opened up to brush you off but you insisted.

"I know this is a lot to ask after one day, especially considering the way we met..." you swallowed. "But please, trust me ." for a few seconds Ekko hesitated. You could see his thoughts battling each other in his head, but in the end, he nodded and signaled the injured man to follow him. He led you both into a darker premise by the walls and closed the door behind you.

"What do you want?" he asked, his arms crossed on his chest as he watched you stepped by the side of the other firelight.

"I want to help."