Chapter 23

"Your bruise is gone." Ekko said in the darkness, breathing a kiss onto your cheek, just where your brother had hit you hours ago.

"Yeah." You smiled and he pulled you closer to him, to embrace you into a warm and affectionate hug from behind. "I heal much faster than anyone else - especially when I feel good." Your head rested on his arm as you lied down to your side, while his free one hugged you tightly.

"What does it feel like, - when you heal?" Ekko asked after a while, stroking your hair away from your neck so that he could place the softest, most gentle kiss onto your skin. You felt your whole body getting covered in goosebumps as you smiled.

"It is warm." you said after a few seconds of thinking, trying to grab the feeling in your mind to be able to describe it to the boy. "In my chest mostly, but it kind of... spreads out?" you weren't sure how to say it. "You know, like that ring of wave on a very still surface of water, after you drop something in..."

Ekko pulled you closer to his naked body - you weren't wearing any pieces of clothing either - and kissed the part between your neck and shoulder. "I think, I can sometimes - feel when your powers are working..." he spoke against your shoulder and you raised your eyebrows.

"You do?"

"Mhmm." he hummed in agreement. His breath tickled your skin. "When you're by me. I don't feel it all the time, just at occasions like - when I kiss you for example..." he said and you could hear on his voice that he was smiling. "The very first time I felt it - I didn't know what was it back then - was when we first flew together on a hoverboard." your heart was beating faster inside your chest as you listened to him talking and there it was - the warmness again...

"Well, that's new..." you wondered to yourself. No one had ever said that they could feel your powers when you weren't directly healing them. Was this because you rarely had anyone so close to yourself like Ekko, or because you were somehow getting... stronger?

Ekko's hug tightened around you one more time. "I can feel it now as well...It feels so good..." he said sleepily and buried himself into your neck. The butterflies inside your stomach danced such a wild dance that you were starting to believe there were real insects inside your belly. Your fingers locked around his on your waist and you pulled his hand to your lips, to gently kiss the back of it.

You felt safe with him. Even being completely naked and the most vulnerable, you felt like nothing could ever hurt you anymore as you listened to Ekko's breathing slowly deepen by your side. And you also felt yourself drifting towards a soothing darkness, no matter how much you tried to stay awake and just enjoy the moment a little more. You fell asleep.

***

"Do you think you can use them for anything?" You asked as your hands were tinkering with the pocket watch. You were sitting on Ekko's bed, almost finishing with the little firelight sign you had been carving onto the inner part of the cover, while the boy was sat at his table. He leaned above a big magnifying glass, furrowing his brows in confusion.

He had been studying the gemstone shards for long hours now - enough for you to finish the fixing of the pocket watch completely. You had to replace the glass and hour hands, plus a few smaller gears as well but your hands were experienced. After you finished cleaning it up you decided to carve the - very simplified - image of a firelight, because, well, you felt it needed something you could personalize with.

"Heimerdinger says that broken like this, it's not that powerful anymore, but they seem so strange for me... Ever since I've cleaned them up, they started behaving strangely." he furrowed his brows as he talked. "Come, take a look..." he gestured to you and - in your hands with the watch - you stood up and walked behind him. You leaned down by his head to look at the crystals through the magnifying glass. You felt the warmness of his body by your side and it attracted you like an oil lamp attracted a moth.

In the morning he was just as affectionate as yesterday night, peppering you with kisses and embracing you into the warmest hug for long minutes after you woke up. But the moment he stepped by his desk, his concerns and duties got to him again, burying his attention like an avalanche.

You seriously had to force your mind to pay attention to what was happening in front of your eyes because your mind kept wandering back to the morning - and the night before...

The shards seemed to be glowing stronger now than when you found them and when Ekko moved a piece, the other ones started shaking and pulling towards its direction. It seemed that they were attracting each other.

"They behave like they..." he massaged his temple tiredly as he was looking for the right words. "Like they still want to belong together. Is this... Is this makes sense?" You put the watch down to his table and you poked a crystal carefully with your index finger. It rolled away from the others, but they followed the lonely piece again, right away. "Is this even possible?"

"I don't exactly have much knowledge of these kinds of things..." you said, but then you heard a little, repeating noise somewhere around Ekko's table that diverted your attention. You tried to find the source of the barely audible, twinkling noise, lifting papers and pushing books aside as Ekko started fiddling with the crystals again. And there it was - in a glass container - another piece of shard that the boy probably accidentally forgot about. It kept hitting that side of the glass that was the closest to the rest...

"There's one more piece here..." you mumbled as you grabbed the little blue crystal between your index finger and thumb.

"Oh..." you heard the little word of surprise coming from Ekko's mouth before you dropped it under the magnifying glass, among the others.

You didn't really have much time to react. Everything happened so fast and yet your mind sensed it like the time had slowed down around you.

The second the remaining shard got close to the others, all of the little crystals started vibrating. Then they span around themselves as blue sparks started shooting out of them, and in a blink of a time - they shot towards each other.

Ekko only had time to push you away as the crystals blew up.

You saw as you flew backwards, that the blue shockwaves hit the boy directly and fear clenched your stomach. But as you fell onto your back, you hit your head onto the wooden frame of Ekko's bed behind you, and everything immediately faded to black... 

// AN.: Guuys I did you know that in game, Ekko still has parents and they want him to go to a Piltovian univercity because he's a genious. So they always work and rarely see their son (to be able to pay for his studies) and don't know that Ekko wants to stay in Zaun to help the city become greater. He plans to tell them that he won't go to Piltover on his nameday which he forgets about and when he's parents get home and bring him an expensive cake he can't bring himself to tell them and ruin their joy because they are so happy about it. So instead he keeps rewinding the time to see the happy faces of his parents until he falls asleep with them 😭  I love this boy so much, I just wanted to share this with you in case you haven't read this story yet. He's TOO PURE ❤️😭//