Chapter 18

You observed the little crystal pieces lying on your palm. They seemed oddly familiar but you couldn't just recall where you'd seen them before. You found them among a pile of broken window pieces in the scrap metal dump, Ekko told you about. You only noticed them because they were glowing slightly...

You tilted your palm so that the light could hit them from a different angle, and just when you almost threw them back to the ground, thinking they were nothing but some piece of a colorful rose-window, a picture came to your mind.

About the day when Ekko left to give a gemstone back to the Piltovians.

You remembered that day like it was yesterday, because that was also the day when he kissed you for the first time... you smiled to yourself slightly as you thought about his lips against yours and you felt the butterflies inside your stomach come to life...

The only other time he kissed you again was the day, when you returned after finding your brother. You'd barely even had the chance to see him ever since...

Your chest tightened around your heart when you thought about how you missed the young firelight. How you longed for just the shortest conversation to have - to listen to him talk about his day, hear him ask about yours... anything...

But what could you have done? Jinx blew up the council's building two weeks ago, and enforcers flooded the lanes to punish people for a crime they didn't even commit. Silco disappeared on top of that, leaving Zaun on her own in the chaos his surrogate daughter caused...

Maybe he tried to save himself. Maybe he... died. But to be honest, now that you'd found your brother again, you didn't really care about Silco's fate anymore. You only wanted to save what remained of your brother, Neo.

You sighed. It was time for you to head back already. You'd been out here the whole day, looking for a watch you could fix up for Ekko. You heard when he complained to Scar how his previous one got wrecked when he had to fight Jinx on the bridge and you thought, he could use a new one. You'd dug up the whole dump already, and stumbled for hours between the mountains of spare parts, gadgets and metal pieces Piltovians had the audacity to call trash...

But hey, you'd found what you were looking for. Even more, because you did not just find two pocket watches - both of them needed to be repaired - but parts from other watches you could use to make them work again. Since, back at your old home, the only clock you had always kept breaking down, you knew how to fix one, thankfully. You wanted this to be kind of a surprise - feeling like a fine excuse to finally talk to Ekko without feeling you are taking his time up.

You blinked when you finally realized you were still holding the crystals. You wanted to throw them away when the image of that day came to your mind again. But this time you remembered how you were both sitting in your windowsill, Ekko holding a gemstone between his fingers... The little pieces in your hand - they looked exactly like that gemstone, that the boy wanted to take back to Piltover! But what on earth something such valuable just lied around a scrap metal dump under a few pieces of broken glass?

Your hands carefully put them inside the bottom of your backpack as you excitedly turned around to return to the firelights. Now this was definitely something Ekko would be happy to see, you thought as you took the hoverboard off your back. You remembered how he said he could have made a use of the one they lost on the bridge, and even though what you'd found now were just a few shards, what if it was enough for him and Heimerdinger to work something out with?

You felt your heart beat inside your throat as you flew back to the base. You weren't afraid of flying anymore - in the past weeks, you had to visit the lanes quite often to heal those, the enforcers punished and you oftentimes went out on your own now. You had enough time to practice the use of a hoverboard - still hated it though.

You couldn't tell why you were so excited. You were just going to quickly show Ekko what you'd found and then both go your separate ways again, to not have a chance to talk for God knows how many days this time...

Stop being so selfish! - you thought when you knocked on the door of the base. 

You silently prayed for Scar to hear your fist banging the metal in front of you. You could open the door on your own but, God damn it was heavy. You just raised your hands a second time to knock, when you finally heard the rumblings and you let out a relieved sigh as you saw Scar's face glance back at you.

"Hey - thanks..." you said as you climbed over the entrance and Scar nodded back at you with a smile on his lips. You were always glad to see him smile - it looked good on him, because it made him seem the friendliest. "Is..." You had to stop to nervously swallow. "Is Ekko here?" you asked in the end.

"Yeah, he's in his room." Scar gestured towards the top of the tree with his head as he closed the door back.

"Thanks!" you said again and jumped onto the hoverboard to fly up to his room right away. On your very first time on a hoverboard, when Ekko told you there were a few places one couldn't reach without flying - he was talking about his own room among others...

You let the wind calm your cheeks as you flew upwards, feeling your knees getting shaky for a reason you didn't understand. Just why were you so anxious? Maybe because this would be the first, you'd talk to Ekko in private since he spent the night in your room? Or maybe because you were afraid, he hadn't look for your company not just because he didn't have time to do so, but because he didn't even feel the need to?

You stumbled into his room and your eyes immediately looked for him, but to your greatest disappointment (and relief?), the premise was empty. You lied the hoverboard against his windowsill carefully and looked around nervously, trying to find out what would be the wiser decision - to leave and look for him elsewhere, or wait for him to return and explain yourself why you were here on your own...

Before you could have turned away to leave though, your eyes fell onto his table. Tons of papers were lying all over, having sketches of all kinds of Ekko's inventions and ideas, among with a few other scribbles about schedules and stuffs you didn't understand.

But what your eyes got caught on was your own face. He had sketches of you on so many of the papers - you smiling, just looking into the distance or standing somewhere... You stepped closer to the desk, feeling your heartbeat getting faster and the warmness inside your chest, as your eyes jumped from one drawing to another.

You could see how some of them were rushed, some of them seemed like he drew them while half asleep and there were pretty detailed ones as well. Your cheeks were getting flushed with heat as you reached for one to take a closer look when the door of Ekko's room opened and -

"Y/N?