Chapter 13

It was your first kiss. Of course, your mind couldn't stop replaying the moment. You just stood there, in front of the entrance that Scar was closing up and you were watching, but couldn't see.

Ekko kissed you.

You pressed both of your hands to your chest, trying to keep your heart under your ribs as you thought about the warm feeling of his lips against yours. You just wished you weren't so worried...

He said that he would probably be back in two days. All he, Vi and Caitlyn had to do was getting over the bridge to Piltover and give the gemstone back to the council to prove Zaun didn't have any bad intentions towards the higher city. Nothing dangerous, nothing complicated... right?

A slight nudge on your shoulder stopped your train of thoughts. Scar was standing by your side and when you looked up to his face, he gestured towards the tree.

"Come, eat with us." he said and when your eyes followed the direction his finger pointed at, you saw lights gathered all around the tree. Bits of lighthearted conversations could be heard and you saw the people setting up wooden tables by each other.

This was the first ever occasion you had the chance to spend dinner time with the people here. You either spent the evening in your room or somewhere with Ekko so you had no idea that everyone here gathered together to share a meal. Like one big family.

You followed Scar towards the tree but you kept turning your head back to look at the door. Expecting Ekko to show up any second - the de ja vu had you hit you way too hard. It was exactly like that day... You were looking at your door the same way...

"Y/N!" you heard your name when you and Scar got closer to the tables and when your eyes searched for the source of the voice, you saw Ajuna waving towards you. Next to him there was an empty seat which he gestured at when he saw you were looking. You made your way towards him, passing by three long, wooden tables all pushed together to make one. In the air you smelled something delicious that immediately made your hungry stomach rumble.

A warm breeze stroked your face as you sat down by the boy. Summer nights in Zaun could be very hot in the lower lanes but here the air felt pleasantly warm and the way the firelights and light strings lit up the place around you, reminded you of a fairy tale again. This night could had been perfect if Ekko was there as well.

But this way you couldn't get rid of the cold's grip on your stomach...

"Hey, Y/N!" Ajuna greeted you as you sat down beside him, seeing Scar sitting down by the boy's other side. You noticed a firelight sitting on his shoulder - its wing seemed to be broken but you could also see that some kind of a tape was holding it in place. The boy probably tried to fix it the way he could.

"Is that a firelight on your shoulder?" you asked him, smiling under your furrowed brows.

"I found it in my window! Its wing was broken and I couldn't leave him there. " He explained to you ardently, reaching his hand out to take the insect into his palms. "I don't think I'll be able to fix it but at least he can live on my shoulder." he reached the firelight towards you.

"Are you boring Y/N with some of your pets again?" you heard a little girl's voice coming from the other side of the table. You saw Ajuna pulling back his hands but you leaned closer to him to whisper: "You're not boring me. I love animals!" and the boy's eyes shone up.

You thought about how you promised Ekko you'd stop hiding finally. You looked around the tables, seeing all kinds of friendly and relaxed faces and you kind of felt home for the first time since you'd lost your family. These people were your home now. You didn't feel the need to hide your talent from them at all. You felt the warmness inside you as your eyes jumped from face to face and when you looked at the girl in front of you - she had blueish black hair and wore glasses on her tiny nose - you shot a smile towards her.

"If you give this little guy to me, I can help its wing." you turned back to look at Ajuna by your side. You saw Scar's face turn towards you as well from the corner of your eyes. Right now, he and Ekko were the only ones among the firelights and those they sheltered who knew about your talent.

The boy furrowed his brows as he reached the insect towards you. "How can you help him?" he asked, confusion evincing on his face.

"I'll show you." you smiled as you took the firelight from him. You felt its small legs against your palms but you didn't feel disgusted by the creature at all. In the lower lanes, bugs were common visitors in one's home so you got used to them. Plus it was different from the ones you grew up with. They were huge and down there they often times couldn't fly. And if they could - well, then they weren't as shy as the firelights...

"What are you doing?" the little girl asked, flinching her nose as she watched you hold the insect close to your heart. The firelight was so small you didn't have to concentrate much to heal it. Of course, your mind wandered back to Ekko's gaze holding onto yours but you only needed a blink of a time. When you opened your eyes and then looked at your palm you saw the insect trying its wings out and then -

it flew away.

You looked at Ajuna's opened mouth face at first but then you noticed the growing silence around you. Those who were sat the closest to you witnessed everything and they were all watching you now - but before they could have said anything, someone on a hoverboard arrived next to Scar. You saw she was Raven - the curly haired firelight girl who was Eden's girlfriend before she died.

When she took off her mask you saw the panic on her face and you immediately felt your stomach turning upside down.

"There were explosions on the bridge..."

//I'm so sorry there'll be like 1-2 chapters without Ekko in them in a row! :( I'll have to develop reader's story a little as well, but he'll return soon! Thank you guys so much for reading and for your amazing comments and support!! They make my day everytime!! 😭❤️//