Chapter 36

The creature was groaning in the shadows as you gathered yourself from the ground. You couldn't explain why, but you had the feeling it was fighting himself, trying to restrain its own instinct to rip you apart as it panted. Its saliva dripped to the ground next to its feet.

At first glance, it seemed like a wolf, but what was the strangest to you is that it was standing on its hind legs. Its fur-covered body seemed to be modified artificially - metal claws were at the end of its fingers and throughout his whole frame, a greenish liquid ran all over in translucent pipes, all starting from a huge container on its back.

You stood up, while still feeling a bit dizzy, looking straight into the glowing red eyes, and for a second, nothing happened. But then...

"What have you done..." it mumbled. Its voice was hoarse, dry and out of this earth... The fact that it could speak just made it scarier in your eyes. "Run for your life!" the warning roar sent shivers down your spine as it threw itself right after you and you were sure that in a second, you would end up in pieces. Just like those thugs in that alleyway...

If you could shield yourself - the thought rushed through your mind as you raised your arms up to protect your face. But you didn't have the time to even just blink, everything happened so fast. Ekko jumped forward the same time as the beast, as if he knew its moves in advance, and yelled:

"Don't shield!" You had the strangest feeling that he could read your mind... But how? You hadn't even tried to just simply practice that side of your powers ever since you almost died to it... How could Ekko know that you were thinking about it? "You have to run!" he pushed you back to the ground, out of the way of the beast, and combining the momentum with all his force, he swung his metal pipe to batter the face of the creature, hitting it right on its jaw. Scar also moved by your side and kicked it on its chest, making it fly back to the ground.

"The hoverboards!" Ekko gave the next instruction and you jumped to your feet right away, starting to run to the opposite direction without a second thought, while reaching for the device on your back. The foggy air of the lower lanes itched the back of your throat and scratched your lungs as you breathed.

You hit the starting pedal with your fist and threw the hoverboard in front of you, jumping on it immediately. Letting out the biggest sigh of relief, you followed Ekko and Scar, who were both already flying in front of you, seeing them aiming above the houses. You wanted to go after them, when you noticed the clinking noise of metal screeching against concrete. Your brain needed a few seconds to realize it was the beast's claws hitting the pavement under them and just when you turned the hoverboard towards the sky, something grabbed the device under you, pulling it back with such a force that your body continued to fly onward.

"I can't save you!" You heard it shout again, through his growls.

You couldn't keep your scream inside your throat as you fell, and hit the cold, wet ground under you. Again. You were really getting tired of falling for today...

Your only luck was that you didn't pass out. You felt dizzy for hitting your head and your left shoulder also hurt, but you tried to get up as fast as you could. Your eyes desperately searched for your hoverboard around you but your gaze got caught on the beast's glowing eyes in the distant, as it ran for you and only for you...

You saw Ekko flew towards you from the corner of your eyes but something was just off about him. He only hit the beast once and yet, he seemed like he had to fought an army... he held his left arm awkwardly and on his face bruises and scratches were all over. You noticed his Z-drive glowing more than usually on his back, and it clicked to you suddenly.

It wasn't the first time he went through all this...

Before he could have activated the device one more time, and the beast could have gotten close to you, you heard another howl.

A familiar one...

And a second later, from a side street, that ran at right angles to the one you were stumbling through, someone else roamed out with such a force, that he had to dig his claws into the concrete ground under himself to be able to stop. A second later, he threw himself after the wolf-like creature and by its hind legs, he pulled it back to himself.

"Neo!" You screamed when you saw the beast hit back, causing your brother to whine up painfully, but when he noticed the creature head towards you again, Neo didn't hesitate... He jumped onto it one more time and they became a howling, growling and barking mess as both of them tried to overcome the other.

Using the time Neo managed to give you, you started searching for your hoverboard around you. It took you a few seconds to finally see it, - lying halfway between you and the monster fighting your brother.

"Here goes nothing..." you mumbled as you dashed forward, trying to run as fast as possible despite all your aching limbs and dizzy head. When you reached it, your legs slipped as you had to brake so quickly and you fell onto your knees but you didn't pay attention to the pain.

Your fingers finally locked onto the hoverboard's cold, metallic edge, when you heard the long, painful yowl. It could only mean that one of the beasts won... You had to fight your urge with all your heart to not stop and look back to see who got hurt, while still kneeling on the ground. You needed to get high enough first so that you wouldn't get caught one more time...

But what if it was your brother who got injured? What if he would die without your help? Could you really help him in this situation?

Ekko had the Z-drive, yes, but he had been wounded as well... you couldn't risk neither him nor Scar to get injured because of you.

And still, you turned back for a second, still half on your knees to just at least know what happened... Having more questions would have dried you crazy, you knew that.

But the alleyway seemed empty. You couldn't see neither the wolf-like monster nor your brother anywhere. Only the greenish fog swirled at the place they had had fought each other just a few seconds ago. With a heavy heart, you wanted to turn back to really jump onto your hoverboard this time, but your brother's distorted face greeted you from so close, that you felt the heat coming from his body.

It surprised - and also scared you - so much, that you wanted to scream, but your voice got stuck inside your throat as you looked deep into the glowing eyes. A purplish, shiny liquid was dripping from a wound above his right eyebrow - it was probably his blood that got completely mixed with shimmer by now...

Your brother was whining quietly, suffering from his wounds and your heart shattered inside your chest. He heard your scream probably. Your old home wasn't far from where you were at that moment. He came to protect you...

And it could only mean that he still remembered you deep down...

You felt the tears burning your eyes as in that moment, you were really looking into the eyes of your brother. He was the one in control, you could see that... His glance was so soft and was asking for help again. You slowly, and carefully reached your hand out, to try and heal his wounds he got from the other beast. He was bleeding from several cuts, all over his distorted, shivering body.

But the moment your fingers touched his face, he blinked and your brother suddenly disappeared. His panting became wild again as he raised his hand to hit you with all his force - but Ekko was faster.

After an enormous hit on the back of his head, Neo collapsed to the ground, unconsciously and you just knelt there, watching him in slight shock.

"Is this your brother?" Ekko panted, pressing his left arm to his body with his right.

You weren't able to force a single word out of your lips, so instead of an answer, you could only nod as you swallowed your stomach back down. 

//A/N.: I had a writer's block :( sorry for taking so loong :( //