Chapter 31

Your heart ached a little when you thought about how your ways had to part, just when you finally had the chance to kiss him again... You knocked on the door of Heimerdinger's little workshop, he spent most of his time at, nervously hugging your own stomach.

It was that itchy, cold feeling again, deep inside your guts that had been nesting itself inside you for an hour now. You remembered how right after your lips touched Ekko's, you immediately had to part them - you felt as if a bucket of cold water had been poured into your neck.

"Something's wrong..." you said, making the boy furrow his brows in his confusion. Your eyes longingly lingered on his mouth - the darker shade of his upper lip had become your favorite color. But this feeling - it was too familiar for you already to ignore it and every time you felt it before, it had always meant sorrow...

"What..." you saw Ekko searching your face, probably believing it was him again you had problems with.

"I - I don't know. I just feel it." you said and you looked at him with slight fear glistening in your eyes. "I think I'm gonna go... talk to Ajuna..." you mumbled. Your gut told you to go and search for him.

You had already looked for the little boy in his room. You knocked on the wooden pallets of his door, but only Daisy's dry and old bark greeted you. After a few seconds, you realized you were probably waiting in vain, so you carefully opened up the entrance, making sure none of the little boy's pets could escape, and peeked inside. The premise was dark, and apart from the animals - empty...

So that was the reason why you were standing in front of Heimerdinger's workshop now. Since Ajuna always liked to trinket with some kind of a device, naturally, he liked to spend his free time with the old Yordle - who happily taught him a thing or two he knew.

The professor had been staying with the firelights in the past weeks - ever since he came here with Ekko - he seemed to be serious about trying to help Zaun, especially after how the council expelled him and he could see it with his own eyes how many strong people lived here as well.

He was fascinated by the what Ekko and firelights accomplished here, despite the huge disadvantages they had to start with.

You didn't know exactly what he had been working on all the time, but you could hear the sounds of literal explosions coming from his workshop from time to time. Ekko often stayed with him, probably usually asking for Heimerdinger's help to stabilize the Z-drive. But you never really had your business with the old man.

Once at dinner, when he decided to ate with you, he asked about your talents and you told him everything, but he didn't seem to be surprised - in his long life he probably had seen people with powers similar to yours. You decided that you would ask him to talk about them, but you hadn't had the chance ever since.

His door opened up, and the professor's face greeted you from behind a pair of goggles - similarly oversized to Ajuna's.

"Good afternoon, missy." he said, in his usual, light tone, while he nodded towards you. "What a nice surprise!" he said and opened his door up for you so that you could enter. "What can I assist you with?"

"Oh, I'm only here to ask whether Ajuna's with you?" you asked, looking inside his room. All around the place, parts of some kind of... weapon? lied around. You didn't know what it was good for, but it definitely seemed dangerous.

"No, I haven't seen the young lad since yesterday." he shook his head. His pet poro was around his leg, checking who was their visitors.

That was not good news... The cold feeling inside your stomach became more distinguishable. You said your goodbyes to Heimerdinger and quickly turned back to search for Scar. He was your last hope...

Ekko said he would look for him outside the firelight base while you stayed and searched for him here. He said he knew about a place he could be, as he hanged the Z-drive over his chest and grabbed a hoverboard into his hands.

"Take care..." you said to his back as he stepped outside his door and wished that, just for once at least, the two of you could have a normal day. Without worries, problems, sorrow and questions...

You quickened your steps when you finally saw Scar standing by the side of the walls. He leaned his back against the cold concrete, and his daughter - Actias - was chasing (or rather toddling after) a firelight by his leg. He was busy sharpening the blade of his spear with a hone. When you got to them, you crouched down next to the little girl right away to stroke her soft, chubby cheek with your hand.

"Hi little one." She grinned at you with her tiny sharp teeth, but she was so preoccupied with chasing the bug, that she immediately redirected her attention back to it.

"Hey, Scar..." you said, standing up, and he nodded back at you with a light smile from his own height.

"Have you seen Ajuna?" you asked. Your concern was probably showing on your face by now because the huge firelight leaned his weapon against the wall to pay all his attention to you.

"Not in the past hours. When we last talked, he said he would go out to get some food. Why? What's wrong?" his voice now sounded even deeper than usual as he changed into a more serious tone.

"Nothing..." you said as you hugged yourself. "I don't know..." you sighed tiredly. "I just have this feeling in my gut, you see? I've had this before... Once when I lost my family and once when Ekko got injured on the bridge." you looked away from him, feeling stupid for coming with silly things like 'women's intuition', or whatever you should call it. You wouldn't even pay much attention to it if it was the first time you felt it... "I know it sounds crazy..."

"I trust your gut." Scar said simply without hesitation, his huge palm petting your shoulder. You saw the seriousness in his glowing green eyes and for a second, you felt better. But then, you heard the metallic ring of a fist banging on the huge entrance of the Firelight base and you felt the same old bucket of cold water pouring down your spine.

The huge firelight immediately started towards the door while you stayed back, taking Actias into your hands causing her grunt towards you, showing her teeth again. You booped her nose for which she frowned and got confused, making her little rage stop - you've seen Scar doing it countless of time and it always worked for him. 

Your steps were unsure while you neared the entrance and when you saw the huge round piece of metal rolling aside, you held your breath back as your heart raced inside your tightening chest...

// A/N.: Sorry again for taking so long with this one as well. :( The next two weeks are going to be crazy with all the crunch times and all. I'll try to keep up with this 2-3 days on top schedule! Thank you so much for reading this far! You are so amazing and your support makes me keep going!! I love you guys so much!! //