ii. NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES AT THE GRAND CANYON

YOU.

——-     Coach Hedge's lecture through his messed up megaphone had Y/n suppressing a laugh. Every now and then, his voice would change to sound like a Sith Lord, and would be followed by random outbursts of things like 'the pig says oink!' Leo was lucky the girl's sense of humor wasn't very... mature.

Speaking of, the boy was fidgeting with nuts, bolts, and pipe cleaners that he took from his pocket. Y/n wondered what else he had in there.

Jason was too busy studying the exhibits to listen to the coach. Y/n turned to look at Piper, Dylan, and his unnamed friend from before. A group of girls stood to the side, pointing at Piper and laughing. If Y/n really did belong here, it would be because of her violent tendencies- She's very close to walking up to those jerks and hitting them.

The girls walked up to them and commented to Piper. "Her Piper, does your tribe run this place? Do you get in free if you do a rain dance?" One said while chuckling. The others all laughed.

If it weren't for Leo already holding Y/n's sleeve back, she would've already been in their faces about that racist comment. It seemed like this has happened before, since Leo knew what she was about to do.

Piper retorted, saying something about her being Cherokee. Just then, the same girl, Isabel, joked about Piper not having a mom. Y/n sent a death glare at her and her minions.

Y/n may not have any memories of these people, but she had already made up her mind; she would defend Piper to the death. Y/n knew she was a good person and didn't deserve this.

One of the girls in the back caught Y/n's eye, and tugged on Isabel's sleeve, pointing to her. They all looked to Y/n, Leo, and Jason, and became uneasy. This was the correct response, considering the glares the three sent them; even Y/n would be scared if she were in their shoes.

They all continued to look at the exhibits. Isabel's group kept making snarky, racist comments about Piper being Native American.

Piper made the right decision in ignoring them. Fighting would just enable the behavior. She's definitely better than me, Y/n thought.

Jason looked to be in the same boat as the h/c-haired girl since Leo placed a hand on his shoulder. "Chill, man. Piper doesn't like us fighting her battles. If they really knew her, well, her dad, they'd be begging to be her friend."

"Why? Who's her dad?" Jason asked, asking a question Y/n had herself.

Leo looked at Jason with disbelief. "You're really not joking? You don't remember your girlfriend's dad?"

"I wish I did, but I don't even remember her."

"We've got a lot to talk about back at the dorms, c'mon, Y/n." He motioned his head toward the end of the exhibit hall. The three walked towards a big terrace through large glass doors.

"All right, cupcakes." Coach Hedge began. "The Grand Canyon is right out these doors. The skywalk can handle the weight of about 70 jumbo jets, so you should be safe out there. Don't fall, that would cause me more paperwork." He said, before opening the doors and students poured onto the glass walkway.

The Grand Canyon sat before Y/n, and she could see through the glass. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't a bit nervous. Orange and red rock filled the canyon, making sharp points in the ground and on the sides.

She walked up to the edge of the horseshoe-shaped skywalk, along with Leo and Jason. Leo whistled. "Man, that's pretty wicked."

Birds flew under her feet, along with a winding river at the base of the canyon. Jason looked somewhat sick. Like he had a bad thought or a headache.