xix. COACH HEDGE EATS MIDAS'S LAWN

YOU.

——-     Y/n was furious. Both Leo and Piper had been turned to gold before her eyes, and she couldn't do anything to stop it.

Midas smiled apologetically, "Gold trumps fire, I'm afraid." He waved around him at all the gold curtains and furniture. "In this room, my power dampens all others: fire... even charmspeak. Which leaves me only two more trophies to collect."

"Hedge!" Jason yelled, "Need help in here!"

Y/n finally drew her sword and glared at Lityerses.

For the first time ever, Coach Hedge didn't show. Perhaps the traps and defense outside had gotten to him, Y/n thought.

Midas chuckled wickedly, "No goat to the rescue? Sad. But don't worry, my boy. It's really not painful. Lit can tell you."

Jason raised his head proudly, "We choose combat. You gave us the choice to fight Lit instead."

Y/n nodded in agreement.

Midas looked mildly disappointed, but he shrugged, "I said you could die fighting Lit. But of course, if you wish."

The king backed away, and Lit raised his sword.

"I'm going to enjoy this," Lit evilly grinned, "I am the Reaper of Men."

"Come on, Cornhusker," Jason said as he flipped his coin. It came up as a javelin this time, and Y/n appreciated the longer-range weapon.

"Oh, gold weapon!" Midas cheered, "Very nice."

Lit charged at the two. "Backup," Y/n said to Jason, "Going right."

Lityerses was quick. He sliced and slashed at Jason who met him head-on, and Jason could barely dodge his strikes. Y/n stood back and began to analyze Lit's fighting style. It was pretty similar to hers, from what she could tell. She couldn't remember exactly how she'd learned to fight, but she could feel it in her bones. He fought with all offense and no defense, leaving several openings.

Y/n jumped forward when Jason sidestepped and sliced a portion of Lit's arm, adding a new scar to his bicep. Lit growled in annoyance. He swung at the girl, but she ducked and rolled away closer to Jason.

Lit attacked the blonde yet again, and Jason countered, sidestepped, and then blocked. Lityerses was surprised to find him still alive.

"What is that style?" Lit seethed, "You don't fight like a Greek."

"Legion training," Jason shrugged, "It's Roman."

"Roman?" Lit struck again, and Jason deflected his blade. "What is Roman?"

"News flash," Jason smirked. "While you were dead, Rome defeated Greece. Created the greatest empire of all time."

"Impossible," Lit scowled. "Never even heard of them."

"Wouldn't expect you to know them, considering you were dead long before the empire rose," Y/n added.

Y/n dropped down and swung her leg towards Lit's and knocked off his balance. Before Lit could stable himself, Jason spun on his heel and smacked Lit in the middle of his chest with the butt of his javelin. With the loss of his balance and the sudden force, the man was sent toppling backward into Midas's throne.

"Oh, dear," Midas worriedly began, "Lit?"

"I'm fine," Lit growled.

"You'd better help him up," Jason chimed.

Y/n sheathed her sword, "Seems like he needs a hand."

Lit cried, "Dad, no!"

It was too late; Midas put a hand on his son's shoulder, and Lit soon became a very angry-looking golden statue sitting on the king's throne.